Whip up a batch of these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies in no time using our secret ingredient — cake mix! Soft, chewy, and completely irresistible, you'll see these cookies disappear within minutes!
Would fall really be fall without baking some sort of pumpkin-flavored goodie? We don't think so! We are all about embracing the season and getting our pumpkin on!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
And while we love a fancy dessert as much as the next person, sometimes you just don't have a lot of time to fulfill that sweet tooth craving, you know? That's why we are big fans of our favorite, easiest cookie short cut — cake mix!
Cake Mix For Cookies?!
Woah, woah , woah! Boxed cake mix to make cookies?!
You know it!
One of the best parts of shelf cooking is learning to use ingredients in ways you may have never considered before. Cake mix is super convenient for cakes, obviously, but those same ingredients in the box are perfect for making soft, chewy, delicious cookies in no time at all!
Try it and you may never go back to the laborious old-school process of measuring out every ingredient to make a batch of cookies. Talk about a life hack!
Cake Mix Cookie Options
One reason we love making cookies with cake mix is because it is SO easy to change up the flavors while still following the same basic recipe. In fact, we've made a number of different things with a simple box of cake mix! Check out some of these recipes:
- Lemon and White Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- Birthday Cake Cookies
- Homemade Oreo Cookies
- Cake Batter Blondies
The pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe below will be the perfect addition to the family! We typically use pumpkin flavored cake mix, of course, but spice cake mix would also have those delicious fall flavors we're craving right now.
If none of the flavor combos above tickle your fancy, feel free to customize it however you like! Pick your favorite flavor of cake mix and combine it with whatever chips, sprinkles, or frosting you love!
Tips And Tricks For The Perfect Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cake mix cookies are about as simple as you can get when it comes to baking, which is one of the reasons we love them! However, even with the easiest of recipes, it's always useful to have the right tools and tricks for the job. To make sure your cookies turn out just right, we suggest trying these things:
- These reusable silicone baking mats are perfect for lining your cookie sheets and preventing cookies from sticking. Plus, easy clean up!
- The dough can be mixed by hand, but using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer is much faster and really ensures that the dough is mixed well with no pockets of dry ingredients.
- A cookie dough scoop helps you create cookies of the same size, every time! Not only does this make for pretty and uniform cookies, but it also ensures that the cookies bake evenly.
- Chilling the cookie dough isn't necessary, but it does help with making cookies that hold their shape well during baking. We recommend chilling dough in the fridge for about an hour if you have time.
How To Make The Easiest Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies
Are you ready to make these cookies?! We're talking only four easy ingredients! No cans of pumpkin puree, no measuring lots of spices…just quick and easy and so, so yummy!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 (15.25 oz) box pumpkin cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips milk or semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, vegetable oil, and eggs. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a 1½ inch sized cookie scoop, drop balls of dough onto a cookie sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until cookies look firm.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow cookies to sit for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Storing Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies For Later
While we doubt you'll have many cookies left over (if any!), just in case you DO need to store them, it's simple to do!
Place your baked cookies in an airtight container or bag for 3-4 days. If you'd like to save them for longer, simply pop them in the freezer and take them out to thaw individually or as a whole batch. You can reheat them in the microwave for 10-20 seconds or place them in warm oven for a minute or two.
We always like to make a double batch — one to enjoy now, and one to save for later! You never know when you'll be called upon to add to a bake sale, potluck party, or just need a sweet treat for yourself!
Easiest cookies ever, right?! If you're looking for more easy and delicious recipes, look no further!
- The Shelf Cooking Meal Plan Subscription will make dinner time easier than you can imagine! Let us handle the planning while you take care of the cooking…deal?
- This French Toast Casserole is the easiest way to make an irresistible breakfast for a hungry crowd!
- Cheesy Garlic Bread? Uh, yes please! Your family will love this amazing and simple to make side dish!
Stay sweet, pumpkin!