Who says homemade has to be difficult? These (mostly) homemade oreos are the softest, yummiest, and easiest sandwich cookie you'll ever make! Once you try them you'll never go back to the packaged stuff!
Fans of Shelf Cooking know that we are big believers in the idea of “work smarter, not harder”! It is totally possible to create delicious meals and treats without breaking the bank or spending hours prepping. That's why we might be a little bit obsessed with cake mix cookie recipes!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Cake mix is the secret ingredient for our amazingly easy homemade oreos! These cookies have a soft and chewy texture that you just can't get enough of. They are seriously so good! Read on to learn how quickly these come together for the perfect sharable treat.
Why Cake Mix?
Maybe the question is why NOT cake mix?!
Cake mix was invented in the 1930's and has evolved over the years to be both super convenient and super tasty. Having all your dry ingredients ready to go reduces prep time, but still allows you to make homemade treats just the way you like them.
Fun fact: even though it's now usually used for cake, boxed mixes originally started as gingerbread cookie mixes! It only makes sense to continue to use it for cookies today, right?
How To Customize Homemade Oreo Cookies
There are lots of fun ways to customize these delicious sandwich cookies. Try something different each time and you'll never get bored!
- Make mini-oreos – roll your cookie dough balls smaller and reduce the bake time for a couple of minutes to make adorable little treats!
- Add sprinkles – sprinkles always make things more fun! You can add them to the cookies themselves or to the frosting in the middle.
- Make it minty – add a half a teaspoon of mint extract (or more if that's the way you like it) to your frosting mixture for a cool twist.
- Different flavored cake mix – want sandwich cookies but not feeling in the mood for chocolate? Use strawberry, lemon, funfetti, or any other flavor of cake mix instead!
How To Make Homemade Oreos
Are you ready to give these cookies a try? Here is our super easy, no-fail homemade oreo recipe that we know you're going to love!
Easy Homemade Oreos
FOR THE COOKIES
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
FOR THE FILLING
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together all cookie ingredients until well-combined.
- Roll the dough into two-tablespoon balls and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the tops appear set. Let cool.
- While the cookies cool, cream all of the frosting ingredients together in a large bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer until smooth and light.
- Spoon and spread a dollop of frosting onto one cookie and gently press a same-size cookie on top. Repeat with all cookies and enjoy!
How To Store And Freeze Homemade Oreos
Like most cookies, we feel pretty confident these tasty treats won't be hanging around for long. But in the event that you do need to store leftovers (or decide to make them in advance!) it is easy to do. We recommend storing these in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Pro tip: to keep cookies nice and soft, throw a piece of bread in the container! The bread will become stale while the cookies stay fresh!
You can also freeze these cookies and thaw them whenever you're craving the perfect easy treat. Simply place in a zippered freezer bag, squeeze the air out, seal, then label and date. You can pull the cookies out individually and let them thaw before devouring.
We hope this recipe becomes a fun one your family enjoys together for years to come!
Looking for more delicious ideas? Check these out:
- Our Shelf Cooking Meal Plan will provide you with a week's worth of recipes right to your inbox, including more yummy desserts!
- This Egg Roll In A Bowl recipe is so easy you won't believe how flavorful it is! Whip it up for a quick lunch or dinner!
- Do you have bananas on the counter that are starting to look a little sad? Don't throw them out! Check out our best overripe banana recipes and hacks so no food goes to waste!