This one's for the girrrrrrrrls! Galentine's Day is a new-ish tradition that started to celebrate all the girlfriends, sisters, and besties in your life! We've put together some simple and affordable Galentine's party themes, decor and recipes to host your own lovely girls night!
Galentine's Day: the unofficial holiday celebrated on February 13th, where ladies celebrate ladies. It's about friendship and fun. But who says you need to break the bank to show your gal pals some love? This year, let's dive into the art of hosting an affordable yet unforgettable Galentine's bash that'll have your friends cherishing your creativity and thoughtfulness.
The Decor: DIY to Die For
Who says you need to splurge on decorations? Your Galentine's bash can be beautifully adorned with a few simple, DIY projects:
- Heart-shaped Paper Chains: Grab some pink, red, and white construction paper and get cutting. These can hang from the ceiling or doorways and instantly add a festive touch.
- Photo Booth Corner: Set up a small area with a plain backdrop (a white sheet works wonders) and provide some homemade props on sticks (think lips, glasses, hats, and mustaches made from cardstock).
- Love Note Wall: Encourage your guests to write anonymous love notes or compliments to each other on sticky notes and stick them on a designated wall or board. This not only serves as a dynamic and interactive decoration but also spreads positivity and love throughout the party.
- Upcycled Votive Holders: Collect empty glass jars of various sizes (think jam, sauces, or baby food jars), and decorate them with paint, glitter, or wrapped in twine. Place tea lights or small candles inside to create a warm, inviting glow. You can also fill jars with strings of fairy lights.
- Pink, White & Red Balloons: You don't need any helium for this cute idea! Grab a pack of balloons and blow them up yourself. Attach a string that's about a foot long. Tape the string to the ceiling so that your balloon hangs down. Fill your dining room space with hanging balloons for a festive and easy touch!
The Menu: A Love Letter To Your Taste Buds
The food & drinks are the heart of the party. Keep it simple, sweet, and shared. Here are some budget-friendly, cute food ideas and recipes:
- “Cupid's Arrow” Caprese Skewers: Skewer cherry tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and mozzarella balls onto toothpicks. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and arrange them on a platter in the shape of a heart.
- “P.S. I Love You” Pizza: Homemade pizza night! We have an awesome EASY homemade pizza recipe here. Before baking, arrange the toppings to spell out L-O-V-E or use a heart-shaped cookie cutter for pepperoni hearts.
- “Sweetheart” Strawberry Shortcakes: Purchase or bake small shortcakes and layer with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. For an extra touch, cut strawberries in half to create a heart shape on top of each shortcake.
- “Galentine's” Raspberry Fizz: In whatever cute glassware you have, add a scoop or two of raspberry sorbet. I like to use a cookie dough scoop for small cute mounds! Top with a carbonated juice like sparkling pink lemonade or sparkling grape juice. Cheers!
- Heart-Shaped Mini Sandwiches: Use heart-shaped cookie cutters to create adorable mini sandwiches. Fill them with a variety of ingredients like cucumber and cream cheese, chicken salad, or peanut butter and jelly for a sweet option. This not only makes the presentation lovely but also caters to different tastes.
- Veggie & Dip Cups: Fill small cups with a bit of ranch dressing or hummus at the bottom and stick a variety of sliced veggies in them. They're easy to grab and go, and the individual servings make it a hygienic option for a party.
- Fruit Skewers: Create colorful fruit skewers using a mix of strawberries, grapes, pineapple, and melon. You can even cut some of the fruit with heart-shaped cookie cutters for a thematic touch. Serve them as they are or with a side of chocolate dipping sauce for an extra treat.
- Popcorn Bar: Set up a popcorn bar with plain popcorn and a variety of toppings and seasonings like melted butter, Parmesan cheese, cinnamon sugar, and nutritional yeast. It's an inexpensive snack that's also highly customizable.
- Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries: We have a great blog post here with tips and tricks for making the BEST chocolate-dipped strawberries!
- Cheese and Cracker Platter: Assemble a platter with a variety of affordable cheeses and crackers. Add some grapes or nuts to the platter for an extra touch. This is a simple yet elegant addition to any party table.
- DIY Bruschetta Bar: Toast slices of baguette and provide toppings like chopped tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, olive oil, balsamic glaze, and garlic for guests to make their own bruschetta. It’s interactive and allows guests to customize their appetizer.
- Pasta Salad: Our favorite crowd-pleasing side dish. We have a classic recipe here plus TONS of ways to customize and substitute your favorite ingredients or whatever you have on hand.
The Activities: Love & Laughter
When you get 3+ women together, do you really even need to plan activities….? We usually find once the conversation starts flowing, time passes before you even know it! If your group needs so ice breakers or loves a little friendly competition of some games, however, we've got some great ideas that don't require you buying a thing!
- DIY Galentine's Cards: Provide cardstock, markers, stickers, and glitter for everyone to create and exchange personalized Galentine's cards.
- Rom-Com Marathon: Have each friend bring their favorite romantic comedy DVD, or create a streaming playlist to watch together. Don't forget the popcorn!
- “Things I Love About You” Jar: Each guest writes something they love about each person on a slip of paper and puts it in their jar. It's a sweet takeaway that reminds everyone how cherished they are.
- Make Friendship Bracelets: A simple craft that everyone can make and enjoy! Put a bowl of different beads, some strings and scissors and unleash your creativity!
- Decorate Cupcakes or Cookies: Friends that bake together, stay together. Bring out a fresh batch of cupcakes with a few different color frostings and enjoy making some Valentine treats!
- Karaoke Night: You don't need a karaoke machine to belt out your favorite tunes. Use YouTube to find karaoke versions of popular songs and sing along using your TV, computer, or smartphone. It's a fun way to let loose and show off your vocal skills (or lack thereof).
Hosting a Galentine's get-together doesn't have to drain your wallet to be heartfelt and memorable. With a little creativity, DIY flair, and the spirit of friendship, you can throw a celebration that your gal pals will talk about until next February 13th. Here's to love, laughter, and ladies celebrating ladies!
Happy Galentine's Day!
You'll also love these other great blog posts: