No knead, no loaf pan, no Dutch oven, no problem! Our rustic bread recipe is so simple, using only 5 ingredients that you likely have stashed in your cupboards. In just a few hours, you'll have the most delicious bread that has an amazingly crispy crust and is pillow-soft inside!
There's nothing better than homemade bread, fresh out of the oven. It's perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacktime, or any time of the day, really! But one of our favorite things about it? It's one of the best ways to stretch a meal and get those bellies full!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
You simply can't go wrong with our rustic bread; it goes well with anything. Even non-bakers can have this turn out perfectly delicious every time! We love that you don't need any fancy gadgets for it, although a stand mixer does keep you from working up a sweat 😉 So what are we waiting for? Let's get on to…
THE EASIEST CRUSTY RUSTIC BREAD
We could make this every week and never get tired of it… Shoot, we could make it every day and never get tired of it! You won't be disappointed, we promise. Plus, it's a great shelf cooking recipe because all of these ingredients are kitchen staples!
Rustic Bread Recipe
- 3 cups Warm Water
- 2 ¼ tsp (1 pkg) Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 6 cups (750 g) Flour
- 3 tsp Salt
- Mix yeast, sugar and water in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Let sit for about 5 minutes until bubbly.
- Add flour and salt. Mix until combined into a soft dough. (The dough is sticky, but you can add ¼ cup flour at a time if it's too sticky to handle.)
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and kitchen towel. Let rise for 1-3 hours, if possible! I’ve run out of time before and let it rise for only 30-60 mins and it still works, but the longer, the better!
- Preheat oven to 450°F and put a pizza stone or flipped-over cookie sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Fill a baking dish with 2 inches of water and place on the bottom rack to create steam for an extra crispy crust.
- Sprinkle flour on the counter, turn out the dough, fold on itself, divide in half and form it into 2 balls. Don’t knead or handle it more than you need to. Add a little flour if it’s too sticky.
- Cut an X shape on the top of the balls with a sharp knife.
- Place on a lightly floured pan, then place on top of the hot pizza stone or cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 25-30 mins or until golden brown and cooked through.
Sounds so good, right? It's such an easy recipe and the bread comes out perfect every time!
STORING RUSTIC BREAD
If you manage to have any bread left over (and that's a big if!), store it in an airtight bread bag or zipper bag at room temperature. It usually only lasts for a few days before it starts going stale. At that point, you can repurpose it for something else, if that's your thang. (Those ideas are comin' atcha below!)
Rustic bread also freezes really well! Wrap your whole loaf in plastic wrap and aluminum foil to help prevent freezer burn. When you're ready to thaw, just leave it wrapped up on the counter for a few hours and it'll be good as new. You can also freeze slices of bread, so don't be afraid to throw those in a freezer baggie if you have any leftover as well! They're handy for when you just need a slice or two of bread versus the whole loaf.
WAYS TO USE YOUR NEW FAVORITE CRUSTY BREAD
Alright, here are our favorite ways to eat this rustic bread, both fresh and when it's starting to go stale. Don't even think about wasting it because it's too delicious for that! 😉
- Alongside Soup – You can never ever ever go wrong with soup and bread!
- With Pasta – The same goes for pasta dishes! The bread tastes so good sopping that sauce up.
- Fancy Grilled Cheese – Take your grilled cheese to the next level by using this delicious bread versus plain ‘ol white bread.
- Cheesy Garlic Bread – Talk about elevating a recipe! Rustic bread is the perfect way to make this delicious snack/meal/appetizer/just because.
- French Toast – Don't sweat it if your bread is starting to go stale! Our French toast recipe is the perfect way to revive it.
- Cinnamon Toast – Bread + butter + cinnamon sugar topping = Heaven. Seriously, all it takes is popping it in the oven for 5-10 minutes until everything gets warm and gooey and you'll be on your way to paradise!
- Make into Croutons – Cut stale bread into uniform chunks and toss with olive oil or butter and seasonings (garlic powder is a must!). Bake in the oven at 375°F for about 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once.
- Turn into Bread Crumbs – It's so easy to make your own bread crumbs!
Pro Tip: Plan your meals around when you're making your bread. This will help you use it up before it goes stale! You'll know when to make it fresh to accompany your favorite meals, then turn it into something else before it goes bad.
Alright, well there you have it! Don't be surprised if our rustic bread becomes the new most-requested recipe by your family and friends… There's just something about homemade bread that brings you all together. Give it a try and let us know how you like it!
Looking for more shelf cooking inspiration?