Baked potatoes are a versatile comfort food and blank canvas for culinary creativity. Whether you're craving a hearty meal or a delectable side dish, loaded baked potatoes are the ultimate solution. From classic flavors to innovative combinations, we've compiled a list of a dozen tantalizing ways to elevate your spuds to new heights.
A loaded baked potato is a hearty and indulgent dish made by topping a baked potato with a variety of flavorful and often savory ingredients. The term “loaded” refers to the generous amount of toppings that are piled onto the potato, transforming it into a complete and satisfying meal or a substantial side dish.
They can also be a Shelf Cooking staple to use up any random perishable ingredients in your fridge – sour cream, cheese, herbs, veggies, and proteins. Here are a dozen different flavor combinations to load up into your baked potatoes:
HOW TO BAKE A POTATO
Before we cover all of the fun and creative flavor combinations, we have to start with the basics. The base of the dish needs just the right crispy skin to hold all of your toppings.
These recipes are best with a baked Russet potato, the larger the better.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Prep the Potatoes: Wash the potatoes thoroughly and pat them dry. Pierce each potato several times with a fork to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Oil and Season: Rub the potatoes with olive oil, ensuring they are evenly coated. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the Potatoes: Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack or on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 45-60 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork. The exact baking time will depend on the size of the potatoes.
LOADING WITH TOPPINGS
- Remove and Cool: Once the potatoes are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly for a few minutes. Be careful as they will be hot.
- Slice and Fluff: Carefully slice each potato open lengthwise using a knife. Gently fluff the insides with a fork to create a fluffy texture.
- Add Toppings: Now comes the fun part! the toppings! We'll cover all the different options below.
- Serve: Your loaded baked potatoes are now ready to be enjoyed! Serve them as a main dish or a side alongside your favorite proteins or salads.
12 LOADED BAKED POTATO VARIATIONS
- Classic Loaded Potato: Let's start with the classic. Top your baked potato with a generous dollop of sour cream, crispy bacon bits, chives, and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese. This combination never goes out of style.
- Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed: For a healthier twist, stuff your baked potato with steamed broccoli florets and a handful of sharp cheddar. The creamy potato pairs perfectly with the earthy broccoli and cheesy goodness.
- Tex-Mex Fiesta: Channel the flavors of Tex-Mex cuisine by loading your potato with seasoned ground beef, sautéed bell peppers and onions, jalapeños, black beans, salsa, and a dollop of guacamole. Finish with a sprinkle of cilantro.
- Mediterranean Delight: Travel to the Mediterranean with a baked potato stuffed with tangy feta cheese, Kalamata olives, diced tomatoes, chopped cucumber, red onion, and a drizzle of olive oil. Add a pinch of dried oregano for an extra burst of flavor.
- Buffalo Chicken Bliss: Combine the zesty flavors of buffalo chicken by mixing shredded cooked chicken with hot sauce and a touch of creamy blue cheese dressing. Pile this onto your baked potato and enjoy the spicy kick.
- Loaded Breakfast Potato: Who says loaded potatoes are just for lunch and dinner? Top your morning spud with scrambled eggs, crumbled breakfast sausage, sautéed spinach, and a sprinkle of shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Seafood Extravaganza: Indulge in a seafood-inspired masterpiece by stuffing your potato with a mixture of cooked shrimp, crab meat, diced celery, mayonnaise, and Old Bay seasoning. It's like a baked potato seafood cocktail!
- Vegan Mediterranean: For a vegan delight, stuff your baked potato with a blend of hummus, roasted red peppers, diced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
- Southwestern Black Bean: Embrace Southwestern flavors by loading your potato with black beans, corn kernels, diced tomatoes, avocado slices, red onion, and a drizzle of lime crema. A touch of cilantro ties it all together.
- Spinach and Artichoke Bliss: Create a creamy and indulgent filling by combining sautéed spinach, marinated artichoke hearts, cream cheese, garlic, and parmesan. Once baked, it's a cheesy, savory delight.
- Pesto-Packed Perfection: Elevate your potato by stuffing it with a mixture of basil pesto, diced grilled chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. The aromatic pesto adds a burst of freshness.
- Loaded BBQ Pork: Transform your baked potato into a barbecue feast by topping it with pulled pork, smoky barbecue sauce, coleslaw, and a sprinkle of sliced green onions. It's a savory and tangy delight.
Loaded or stuffed baked potatoes are a versatile and satisfying dish that offers endless opportunities for culinary creativity. Whether you prefer classic toppings, international flavors, or unique combinations, there's a baked potato creation to suit every palate. Experiment with these dozen ideas or let your imagination run wild – the potato is your canvas, and the flavors are your masterpiece!
You'll also love these great blog posts!
- Sweet Potato Fries 3 Ways + Other Sweet Potato Hacks
- The Best Slaw Recipe for Tacos, Sandwiches, and More!
- 10 Leftover Chili Recipes You Need to Try this Fall!