This cheesy garlic bread recipe is perfect for those times you need a quick and cheap snack, appetizer, or meal on the table. Throw it together in no time using whatever ingredients you already have on hand. You'll love how versatile it is and your family will love how delicious it is!
Three words: cheesy garlic bread. Is your mouth watering yet?? Your taste buds are going to be amazed at how simple, yet good, this recipe is! Your wallet is going to love how cheap this is. You'll also love how quick it is to throw together. And your family? You're about to blow them away.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Feel like a culinary genius when you make this cheesy garlic bread recipe. In under 30 minutes, you'll take a few basic ingredients and turn them into a delicious masterpiece your family will ask for again and again! Are you ready to get to it, then?
ALL ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS
One of our favorite things about this recipe is how versatile it is. Change up the ingredients based on what you have. Then, experiment to see what your favorite flavor combinations are! Here are the main ingredients, along with some ways to switch them out:
- French Bread – We are big fans of grabbing a few loaves of bread from the store clearance rack and throwing them in the freezer for recipes like this. This is also a great way to use up your homemade French bread before it goes stale!
- Butter – You can use stick butter, tub butter, margarine, or any other substitute. If using butter that's hard when cold, make sure you set it on the counter at least an hour before using it.
- Seasonings – The recipe calls for onion powder and garlic powder, along with Italian seasoning. Feel free to experiment and use whatever else you have, such as parsley or oregano.
- Cheese – Mozzarella cheese is our go-to cheese of choice and one that you likely always have in your fridge. You can also add Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, or any mixed cheese you may have. Really, you can't go wrong with any cheese you throw on there! #GiveUsAllTheCheese
- Additional Toppings – If you're making this for your main course and you want to make it a little heartier, go for it! Canadian bacon, pepperoni, sausage, peppers, onions, olives, the sky's the limit!
- Dipping Sauce – The sauce is the boss and luckily, pretty much any tomato-based sauce makes this cheesy garlic bread that much better! It's a great way to use that little bit of leftover marinara, pizza sauce, or homemade pasta sauce that's been hanging out in the freezer, just waiting for the right day to shine.
Pro Tip: The key to making the perfect cheesy garlic bread is to use room temperature butter that's soft. For the love of all that is good, DO NOT MELT THE BUTTER!!! It will soak into the bread versus providing a happy buttery layer of goodness on top of the bread.
THE SIMPLEST CHEESY GARLIC BREAD RECIPE
Seriously, your 5-year-old could make this! And really, they should, because it's fun to get the family cooking together. This recipe is great for an after-school snack, a party appetizer, a side to go with your favorite pasta dish or even as the main headliner for dinner!
Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe
- 1 loaf French bread
- ½ cup butter, softened to room temp
- Onion powder, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Optional: pepperoni, Canadian bacon, sausage, peppers, olives, etc.
- Dipping sauce (marinara, pizza sauce, pasta sauce)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut French bread in half horizontally and put on lined baking sheet.
- Slather butter all over bread halves. (DO NOT MELT BUTTER!)
- Sprinkle generously with garlic and onion powders and Italian seasoning.
- Cover bread halves with cheese.
- Top with any other toppings you have on hand. (Optional)
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the broiler on high and bake another 2ish minutes. Keep an eye on it and pull it out once the cheese starts getting bubbly and golden.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes so the cheese can set before cutting.
- Serve with dipping sauce and enjoy!
So easy. So delicious. Perfect for those busy weeknights! Plus, it's way cheaper than ordering it from a pizza joint!
So the real question is, what's your favorite way to eat cheesy garlic bread? Keep it basic with some dipping sauce? Throw all the toppings on it? Let us know in the comments below!
Looking for more great ideas?
- Kids can be so picky; make your life easier and have them start helping out with the meal planning! They'll be excited about being involved and more likely to try new things.
- Just ran out of cream and don't want to run to the store? Use one of these cream substitutes instead!
- This Cafe Rio sweet pork bowl recipe is going to rock. your. world.