Summer treats are best when they require minimal prep so we can spend our days having fun! This fabulous dump cake recipe requires only a few simple steps that will create a spectacular dessert!
Everyone needs a simple go-to dessert recipe that they can throw together in a flash. You never know when there might be an impromptu neighborhood get-together, a friend who might need cheering up, or just a wicked sweet tooth craving!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
This delicious dump cake recipe is so simple AND it utilizes our favorite shelf cooking principles by using ingredients that are easy to keep in your pantry! Plus, it's super flexible and can be easily customized just the way you like it. Let's get cooking!
What On Earth Is A Dump Cake?
You might be asking yourself why a delicious dessert has such a dumpy sounding name! While the words themselves might have a funny or less desirable connotation, we promise this dessert is nothing to turn your nose up.
This cake is called a “dump cake” because you literally open a couple of containers and dump them into a dish as a prep, and that's about it! Prep work takes only a few minutes and then it's ready to pop into the oven. You can't get easier than that!
How To Customize Your Dump Cake Recipe
One of our other things about this cake, aside from the simplicity, is how easy it is to customize it to your preferences. Not only that, this one recipe will allow you to make a variety of different flavored desserts so you never get bored!
You may find you have a favorite combination, like yellow cake mix and peach pie filling, for example. But you could also try:
- white cake mix and apple pie filling
- chocolate or white cake mix and cherry pie filling
- yellow cake mix and canned crushed pineapple plus cherry pie filling
- white cake mix and blueberry pie filling
- chocolate cake mix and raspberry pie filling
And the list goes on! What would your favorite combination be?
How To Make An Amazing Dump Cake
Now that you know how easy it is, let's take a look at the actual recipe, shall we? You won't believe how quickly this will come together!
Quick And Easy Dump Cake
- 1 21 oz can fruit pie filling
- 1 box cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and sliced into pats
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8×8 or 9×9 dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the fruit pie filling to the dish and spread it into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the fruit filling.
- Place with thin pats of butter all over the top of the cake mix layer.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
How To Store Leftovers
This cake is best enjoyed hot out of the oven! However, in the event you have more than you can eat in one evening you can store any leftovers in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
To reheat, it's fine to pop it in the microwave for a minute or two. We prefer, though, to use the oven to reheat again so it can taste freshly baked! Reheat at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes, until the fruit filling is warmed all the way through. Don't forget the ice cream!
Have you tried a dump cake before? What's your favorite flavor combo? They're all so good you just can't go wrong!
If you'd like more easy shelf cooking recipes, we've got 'em! Check out these posts:
- For the ultimate in shelf cooking recipes, try our Shelf Cooking Subscription Plan! We'll email you carefully curated recipes every week to make your life approximately 1000 times easier.
- This easy tater tot casserole is sure to be a dinner-time hit with the family!
- Need a delicious dinner but don't have a lot of time? These cheeseburger bowls are so yummy and take only 15 minutes to make!
We think today is the perfect day for you to have your cake AND eat it too!