This tater tot casserole recipe checks all the boxes! It's cheap, easy to make, and a kid favorite. Seriously, grab your meal plan and write this one down!
Give yourself a break and whip up this easy tater tot casserole recipe for dinner tonight! It can be on the table, ready to eat in just forty minutes. Week-night win!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Not only does this recipe come together quickly, but it's also seriously so yum. Your kids will be begging for this tater tot casserole every single week. Heck, it's so easy, you can teach your kids to make it! #RaisingCapableKids
Keep on reading to find out exactly why we love this tater tot casserole recipe and how to modify it to use to exactly what you have on hand!
WHY WE LOVE THIS TATOR TOT CASSEROLE RECIPE
This tater tot casserole recipe is so cheap and easy to make, it's a perfect shelf cooking meal. Plus, it's a total crowd-pleaser, and freezes like a dream!
You can make it using what you have, plus the whole family will love it. Really… what's not to love about it?!
EASY TATOR TOT CASSEROLE SUBSTITUTIONS
This recipe is so incredibly versatile! Get creative with these tried and true substitutes and use what you have on hand instead of running to the store. Your wallet will thank you and so will your tastebuds!
- “Cream of” Soup – This recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup, but you can use any “cream of” soup you want. Better yet, make your own cream of mushroom soup for pennies with our easy recipe!
- Meat – You can literally use any cooked meat you have on hand in this recipe. Ground beef, turkey, pork, or even shredded chicken would work!
- Veggies – The recipe calls for canned corn, but you can use fresh or frozen with no issue. Want to add more veggies? Try tossing in some frozen mixed veggies instead!
- Milk – Use any milk alternative, half and half, or heavy whipping cream.
- Cheese – Don't be picky—use whatever type of cheese you have or leave it out altogether!
- Sour Cream – Plain Greek yogurt is a great alternative when you're out of sour cream.
See… We told you this was a shelf cooker's dream. Substitutions, galore!
HOW TO STORE, FREEZE, AND REHEAT LEFTOVERS
Store your cooked tater tot casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. Trust us, it's so good it won't last that long!
If you want to reheat the entire leftover casserole, cover the oven-safe baking dish with foil and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until hot throughout. You can also reheat single portions in the microwave for one to two minutes. (The tater tots will likely lose their crispiness with the microwave method!)
This tater tot casserole recipe freezes really well too, so double the batch and save one for later! Assemble your freezer casserole fully except for the tater tots. When you're ready to cook, simply thaw the casserole in the fridge overnight and toss in the frozen tater tots just before you bake. YUM! If properly sealed, it should last up to four months in the freezer.
WHAT TO EAT WITH YOUR TATER TOT CASSEROLE
This tater tot casserole is so good, it can be paired with almost anything! Here are some of our favorites:
- Roasted Carrots – These roasted carrots are ah-ma-zing and super cheap to make!
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – This strawberry spinach salad is the perfect refreshing and light side to accompany the tater tot casserole.
- Roasted Balsamic and Bacon Brussel Sprouts – Yep, we said Brussel sprouts. Don't write this one off! Really, it's SO good!
- Snickers Apple Salad – Hey, you can't forget dessert, right? This snickers apple salad is the definition of tasty.
You won't be sorry when you make your tater tot casserole meal complete with these delicious sides!
YOUR NEW FAVORITE TATOR TOT CASSEROLE RECIPE
This tater tot casserole recipe is SO good, it will become a family favorite and a weekly staple!
Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb cooked ground meat
- 1 can corn, drained
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 20 oz bag of frozen tater tots
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a large baking dish.
- In a large skillet, reheat cooked ground meat.
- Once heated through, add in the corn, sour cream, milk, soup, 1 cup cheese, and seasonings. Stir until well-blended.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Top with frozen tater tots in a single layer and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and tater tots are cooked all the way through.
Yeah, it's pretty mouth-watering, huh? Easy, cheap, and so tasty, this recipe was made for anyone!
Try this irresistible tater tot casserole recipe out and let us know what you think in the comments below! Did your kids love it as much as ours did?
Looking for more weeknight meal ideas?
- Ready for pizza night? Try this 20-minute French bread pizza!
- These oven-baked tacos are quick, and delicious!
- Here's a roundup of 20+ slow cooker recipes, great for busy weeknights!
Enjoy this SPUD-tacular recipe!