Pumpkin French toast is a delicious way to sneak some healthy nutrients into your family's breakfast! Perfect for any time of the year, you can never go wrong whipping up a batch or two and freezing the leftovers for an easy meal!
With the changing of the leaves and the weather getting cooler, pumpkin-flavored foods are just begging to be made! Whether you believe that pumpkin is a fall-only flavor or it can be eaten year-round, one thing remains the same… It is delicious.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Seriously, we can't get enough of it! That's why we love pumpkin French toast. It's so easy to make, is actually quite versatile, and is really easy to cook extras for later. We are all about being more productive and the kitchen is no exception! So, before we get to the amazeballs recipe, let's start with…
HOW TO SHELF COOK YOUR WAY THROUGH PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST
We love this classic recipe, especially since it's made using ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen staples! But we know that sometimes you run out of something or just don't keep that product in your inventory. No worries! Swap them out with these substitutions and your pumpkin French toast will still taste just as delicious as ever.
- Milk – If you're running low or completely out, no worries! You can easily substitute half-and-half, heavy cream, or any milk alternatives (such as almond milk or cashew milk) for the same amount.
- Pumpkin Puree – We love to take those decorative fall pumpkins and make our own pumpkin puree with them to really get the most bang for our buck! You can also use canned from the store. It freezes really well, so it's a pretty easy ingredient to keep on hand. As a last resort, you can try substituting it with pumpkin pie filling. However, it will be pre-seasoned and sweetened. If you go this route, you probably don't need to add any other seasonings to the recipe. You also run the risk of it turning out super sweet without a ton of seasoning. We only suggest doing this if you have a brand that you know what it tastes like and love!
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – If you're a fall baker, then you likely have this handy little seasoning in your pantry. If not, don't sweat it! Add a pinch of nutmeg or clove (or both) to the mixture and you'll be good to go.
- Bread – Here's where you can get really creative and use what you need to! A classic French toast recipe uses a thicker 1-inch bread, such as Texas toast or brioche. But really, you can use any bread you have on hand. Plain white bread or whole wheat bread both make a delicious pumpkin French toast!
THE BEST FRENCH TOAST TOPPINGS
Toppings aren't the feature here, but they sure can make the pumpkin French toast extra tasty! Here are just a few of our favorites:
- Maple Syrup
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Chips
- Nana's Buttermilk Syrup
- Chopped Nuts
- Candied Nuts
- Honey Butter
You can keep it as chill or as fancy as you'd like! The pumpkin French toast is so delicious on it's own that it doesn't need a lot. Those toppings definitely take it to the next level.
HOW TO FREEZE PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST
It really is so. darn. simple. Make your pumpkin French toast as you normally would and allow it to cool for a little bit on the counter. It takes a while to cook a whole mess of French toast, so most of the toast should be cool once the last batch is done. Lay them in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (you may need multiple baking sheets, depending on how many pieces of bread you ended up using).
If your freezer isn't big enough to hold multiple baking sheets at once, then stick whatever won't fit in the freezer in the fridge to stay cool until it's their turn in the freezer. Flash freeze until they're hard enough to not stick together in a bag. Transfer them to a gallon-sized freezer bag and voila! You've got delicious and easy pumpkin French toast whenever your heart desires.
HOW TO REHEAT
If you're only reheating one or two slices of French toast at a time, the toaster will work perfectly! They'll turn out fluffy soft and warm in just a few minutes' time, and you can stick them straight in from the freezer. You can also use a toaster oven or regular oven to reheat large batches. Place the frozen slices on a lined baking sheet in a preheated oven at 375°F for 8-10 minutes, or until heated through. If they start looking like they're getting too brown, cover loosely with foil.
YOUR NEW FAVORITE FALL RECIPE
Alright, let's get to the goods! We love our fall recipes, like our favorite Starbucks copycat drinks, pumpkin cream cheese dip, caramel apple slices, and slow cooker apple crisp. This pumpkin French toast is definitely our favorite fall breakfast food!
Pumpkin French Toast
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- Preheat griddle or large non-stick pan to medium heat. (If you don't have a non-stick pan, then use butter to keep toast from sticking.)
- In a large bowl, pie dish, or baking dish, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Dip each side of the bread in the mixture and add as many as your griddle or pan will hold.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Repeat until all bread and/or pumpkin mixture is gone.
- Top with butter (optional) and drizzle with maple syrup or your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Are you impressed with how simple it is? You should be! And the best part? You can make a double or triple batch, freeze it, and easily have it on those busy mornings (or breakfast for dinner?) when you want some. We love easy make-ahead breakfasts!
And that's that! You're now a pumpkin French toast master. The only thing left to do is go make it! Let us know your favorite toppings in the comments below!
Looking for more ways to be a master shelf cooker?
- You've got to try out this super easy and quick broccoli cheddar soup recipe!
- We've got 35 cooking hacks that will rock your world in the kitchen!
- Tired of boxed macaroni and cheese? You'll never go back once you try our easy and delicious homemade mac and cheese!