Stop going out to eat just to get your broccoli cheddar soup fix! Make it at home and be wowed at how easy and quick it is from start to finish. Save some money and use what you've got to make this delicious recipe.
A good broccoli cheddar soup can be hard to beat, even for those who aren't big broccoli fans! Seriously, what's not to love about a rich, creamy, cheesy soup that just happens to have some veggies in it as well? When you find one that you love at a restaurant, it's hard to want to make it at home for the fear of failing and messing up your beloved soup.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Oh, shelf cookers, you're in luck! We've got just about the easiest broccoli cheese soup recipe that you'll find on the interwebs. It's crazy good, simple to make, can be ready in about 30 minutes, and is versatile in what ingredients you can use. Perfect for making just because you want some, any time of the year!
SHELF COOKING MODIFICATIONS
A good broccoli cheddar soup is hard to beat. Luckily, this isn't one of those recipes that's super strict on what you have to use and it'll still come out perfectly. If you're out of what the recipe calls for, sub in these modifications and don't blink an eye at it!
- Broth – You can use vegetable or chicken broth. Both will taste great and you can use what you already have. Also feel free to use any broth substitutions you have! Better Than Bouillon is a kitchen staple around these parts.
- Broccoli – Fresh or frozen will work and you'll use the same amount of cook time for either type. If you go for frozen, a 12-ounce bag works best.
- Carrot – You need about a cup of carrots, which is either a large, whole carrot or two handfuls of baby carrots. You can shred, julienne, or finely chop them. The smaller they are, the quicker they'll cook.
- Half and Half – This makes the perfect creamy texture that's not too thick or thin. You can also use milk, heavy cream, or evaporated milk.
- Cheese – Mild or medium cheddar works best, but you can also add in a little bit of sharp in if you have it. We wouldn't suggest going full sharp because it'll taste pretty strongly. If you're out of cheddar, no worries! Add in any other yellow cheese and it'll be just as delicious.
Don't you love how easy it is? It's the perfect restaurant-quality soup that you can make in the comfort of your own home.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
This rich and creamy bowl of goodness goes great all by itself. But if your inner Jerry Maguire is coming out, then you can easily say “You complete me” to one of these.
- Crusty bread
- Bread bowl
- Baked potatoes
- Grilled ham and cheese sandwich
You likely have at least one of these in your pantry, ready to go when the time comes. Liking the sound of this yet?
QUICK AND EASY BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP RECIPE
Okay, now we've arrived at the main event, what you really came here for… 😉
(Adapted from Gimme Delicious)
Perfectly Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt (or garlic salt)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 cups half and half (or 1 cup milk + 1 cup heavy whipping cream)
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened and translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add flour and whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes until the flour turns to a beautiful golden color.
- Add the stock, broccoli, carrots, and seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until broccoli and carrots are cooked through.
- Stir in half and half and cheddar cheese and bring back to a simmer for a few minutes.
Easy, creamy, beautiful… (Covergirl… ha, we had to!) This broccoli cheese soup is a great one to make for a crowd, so feel free to double or triple the recipe! The leftovers are out of this world, so you won't be disappointed if you don't eat it all in one sitting.
Now that you're a pro on how to make broccoli cheddar soup, here's the burning question that we need to know… Who's going to be the Dorothy to your Jerry? What are you going to pair this soup with first? Let us know in the comments!
Looking for more great ideas?
- If you think you don't like leftovers, then it's time to think again! Reheat them the proper way and never eat soggy, sad food again.
- Freezer breakfast burritos are the perfect way to have easy, grab-and-go breakfasts ready for those busy mornings.
- Have leftover baby food and not sure how to use it? Rather than toss it, try these ideas out instead!
I’m a homeschooling mom, with ten of us I cook for. I’m going to try your broccoli cheese soup recipe. It sounds great, like for lunch even! You asked what to serve with it, and cornbread is my chief answer. Thanks for your inspiration!