A breakfast burrito is a delicious and filling way to start off your family's morning. Try them out fresh or frozen to make those busy mornings easier!
Picture this: your family wakes up on a busy work and school morning… You've got two options for how your morning could go! The first option is that you're not prepared. You turn to a quick bowl of cereal that will barely last your family for 30 minutes before they're starving again. (“Mooooom, I'm gonna dieeeeee because I'm so hungry!”)
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Your second (and muuuuuch better) option is to have some delicious breakfast burritos ready for your hungry family! They're a great make-ahead breakfast and are sure to be a family favorite. Keep on reading to get all of the deets!
BREAKFAST BURRITO INGREDIENTS
A breakfast burrito is perfect for shelf cooking and using up the ingredients you have on hand since you can switch out most of what's in them. Here are the main ingredients they're made up of, but feel free to switch them out with what you've got or leave something out if you don't have it. No need to run to the store to get ingredients (unless you're out of eggs or tortillas, of course!).
- Tater Tots – You can use regular tater tots, hash browns, fried potatoes, or even sweet potato tots!
- Cooked Meat – This could be Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, plain ol' bacon, breakfast sausage, or any other meat that you need to use up.
- Eggs – Whole eggs or egg whites will work here.
- Half and Half – Make your own by using half milk and half heavy whipping cream!
- Beans – Use canned refried beans or make your own. You can also use any kind of bean that you have on hand. Black beans are always a safe bet!
- Tortillas – Any type will do! Flour, corn, spinach, or whole wheat.
- Shredded Cheese – Use whatever you have! You really can't go wrong with cheese.
- Veggies – This is a great time to get creative and to sneak some veggies into your family's breakfast! Broccoli, carrots, onions, bell peppers, corn, spinach, whatever you have.
- Fresh Cilantro – Unless you're in the category of people who think that it tastes like soap. 😉
- Seasonings – Anything goes here! Salt and pepper are a must, but then you can really get creative and try out different flavor combos.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT BURRITO
It is so. darn. easy. to put a breakfast burrito together! You really can't go wrong with how you do it, but here are a few tips that will make it go smoothly for you.
- Cook (or reheat) your potatoes before adding them to the breakfast burrito.
- If your cooked meat and veggies are cold, heat them up in your pan before scrambling the egg mixture.
- The same goes for your beans! Make sure they're warm before adding them to your burrito.
- If your tortillas are getting old and hard, wrap them up in a damp paper towel (or a tortilla warmer) and pop them in the microwave for a few seconds. This will make them soft so they won't crack when you're rolling them up. Do this right before you're ready to put your burritos together.
- Try not to put too much of the mixture in the breakfast burrito. You need to be able to wrap it up tightly so none of the ingredients will fall out.
BREAKFAST BURRITO RECIPE
This breakfast burrito recipe is seriously the easiest! It doesn't take much to put them together.
Freezer Breakfast Burrito
- 2 cups tater tots
- ½ cup cooked meat
- 2 cups veggies
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup half and half
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 16 oz can refried beans
- 8 flour tortillas, 8 Inch
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cook or reheat your tater tots.
- Add cooked meat and veggies to a pan to heat up.
- Mix together the eggs and half and half. Add to pan with meat and veggies. Add seasonings to eggs and scramble until done.
- Add refried beans to the middle of the tortillas.
- Add egg, meat, and veggie mixture on top of beans.
- Add tater tots, cheese, and cilantro.
- Wrap burritos tightly and keep in warm oven until you're ready to serve.
- To freeze: Allow to cool, wrap tightly in foil, add to freezer bag, and store in the freezer.
See? So easy! Are you ready to make them, yet? Wanna know the best part about them? You can freeze them for a quick and easy breakfast on busy mornings!
HOW TO FREEZE AND REHEAT
Make the burritos and wrap the tortillas as normal. Let them cool, then wrap tightly with aluminum foil and put in a freezer bag before storing them in the freezer. (Ain't nobody got time for freezer burn!)
You can reheat your burrito from frozen if you don't think about it until the last minute, but it's best to thaw them in the refrigerator the night before. (They'll reheat more evenly this way.) Leave them wrapped in their foil and stick them in the oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes until they're heated all the way through.
Sounds easy enough, right? What's your favorite ingredients to put in a breakfast burrito? Let us know in the comments!
Make sure that you check out these other breakfast ideas!
- These make ahead breakfasts help to make your mornings a breeze.
- Try out these crunchy French toast sticks for a fun twist on a classic.
- Overnight oats are easy to make and we've got 10 great flavors for you to try!
- Love Eggo waffles? Try your hand at making your own homemade waffles!
- These easy egg muffins are delicious and packed with protein.
- An egg sandwich is a great way to eat a yummy breakfast on the go.