This homemade enchilada sauce tastes ah-ma-zing and is so quick and easy to make! Get all the flavors you love with just a few ingredients and twenty minutes!
Craving the fiesta flavors of enchiladas but all out of enchilada sauce? No problem! Wipe those tears, grab the chili powder and make this delicious homemade enchilada sauce in less than half an hour!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Sometimes we get so used to buying canned goods that we forget that we can actually make these items on our own! Trust us, once you try this homemade enchilada sauce, you'll never buy the canned stuff again. Homemade is cheaper, tastier, and just plain better! Let's get to the recipe!
WHY WE LOVE THIS HOMEMADE ENCHILADA SAUCE
Not only is this homemade enchilada sauce delicious, it's made with all pantry staples! That means you probably already have everything you need right at home. Shelf Cooking win!
Plus, while we definitely feel there is a time and place for pre-packaged or canned items, sometimes it is good to know exactly what ingredients are going into the food you eat. When you make your own sauces, you can rest assured there are no sneaky ingredients hiding in there that you'd rather not consume. Learning how to cook from scratch is a handy life skill for those with food allergies or intolerances!
EASY SUBSTITUTIONS AND SWAPS
Just like any good shelf cooking recipe, this enchilada sauce has some tasty swap options if you don't have everything you need.
- Flour – No flour? No problem. Swap it out for a tablespoon of corn starch and water mixed together or make it gluten-free with a gluten-free flour!
- Oil – The recipe doesn't specify a type of oil because any cooking oil will do. We love to use olive oil, but use what you have on hand! Check out our post on all the different types of oils here!
- Chicken Stock – While the recipe calls specifically for chicken stock, use any stock or broth you have on hand! Vegetable, beef, and even turkey will all get the job done! (We keep our fridge stocked with Better Than Bouillon so we always have stock or broth handy when we need it!)
- Smoke it Up – Like a smokey flavor? Throw in some smoked paprika for another depth of flavor!
- Spice City – Do you like your enchiladas spicy? This sauce should be fairly mild on its own, but you can crank it up with a little cayenne pepper!
See, we told you there were options!
HOW TO USE YOUR ENCHILADA SAUCE
Not sure how to use your enchilada sauce? Here are some of our favorite ways!
- Cafe Rio Pork Bowl – If you haven't tried this Cafe Rio recipe, you're missing out! Use your homemade enchilada sauce in it!
- Enchiladas – Duh, right? This one is a no brainer!
- Taquito Dipping Sauce – This homemade enchilada sauce is absolutely incredible as a dipping sauce for these chicken taquitos!
- Taco Soup – Throw some enchilada sauce in your next pot of taco soup and watch the flavors explode!
- Baked Taco Drizzle – These baked tacos are amazing, even more so with this enchilada sauce drizzled over the top! Try this with your next nacho platter, too!
Is your mouth watering, too?
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Are you ready for a homemade enchilada sauce recipe that will change your enchilada life? Us, too! Let's get to the recipe already, shall we?
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan and add the flour, stirring continuously, to make a roux.
- Add in all seasonings and stir for another minute or two.
- Slowly pour in the stock, stirring vigorously so there are no lumps.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Salt as needed and enjoy!
Soooo easy, right?!
Now that you have all you need to make the best and easiest homemade enchilada sauce ever, it's time to get to cooking!
What's your favorite way to use enchilada sauce? Share it with us in the comments below!
Want more delicious recipes and dinner ideas?!
- This chicken gnocchi soup can be ready in twenty minutes and is so good!
- Need some inspiration on a busy night? These 15 minute meals are everything you need!
- Oven not working? Try one of these 21 no-cook dinners!
Hasta la vista!