You don't need to wait until Taco Tuesday to serve these chicken taquitos. They're so easy to whip up, you'll want to make them again and again! Spoiler alert: you can, because you only need leftovers to bring this recipe to life.
If you have a leftover rotisserie chicken or a bag of shredded chicken in the freezer, then we've got the perfect meal idea for you! Taquitos are way easier to make than you might think, and our kids LOVE them.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Serve up this recipe on your next Taco Tuesday or Mexican Monday, or make-ahead a big batch to keep in the freezer! We've got all the details you need to make this effortless and delicious dish. Keep on reading for recipe swaps, leftover ideas, and of course, that recipe.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN TAQUITOS
Chicken taquitos are great at lunch or dinner! If you're just looking for a quick snack, taquitos are perfect for munching, too. Looking for a side or two to serve up with your meal? Here are a few of our favorite options:
- Mexican Rice – This Mexican rice recipe is a family favorite! It comes together in minutes and tastes just like the kind you buy at a restaurant.
- Refried Beans – Stop buying the canned refried beans! If you have a bag of pinto beans in the pantry, you can make your own refried beans.
- Cilantro Lime Rice – Have you ever been to Cafe Rio? This copycat cilantro lime rice recipe is the real deal!
- Side Salad – Dice up a few fresh veggies and make a colorful side salad.
- Corn – Oven-roasted corn on the cob with a little butter and Parmesan cheese makes a great side dish for Mexican night!
Want to serve an app while dinner is cooking? Grab a bag of tortilla chips and make a batch of this crockpot cheese dip or whip up some guac. Now, recipe time! But first, let's go over some easy ways to shelf cook your way to chicken taquitos.
HOW TO MODIFY THIS RECIPE
Taquitos are one of the most versatile foods around! You can mix and match the meat and fillings and customize them to your heart's content. If you're missing an ingredient or two, here are some swaps to try:
- Chicken – If you don't have chicken around or want to try something different, pork or beef are both great options! This Cafe Rio sweet pork recipe is incredible. Ground beef, turkey, or chicken are fine, too.
- Taco Seasoning – All out of taco seasoning packets? You can make taco seasoning with just a few ingredients!
- Corn Tortillas – We used corn tortillas, but flour or wheat would also work! Learn how to make tortillas in a pinch.
- Salsa – No salsa? Make your own or sub in some enchilada sauce or tomato paste.
As far as add-ins go, hide some fresh veggies, or top your taquitos with guacamole or queso! You've got plenty of options!
HOW TO FREEZE LEFTOVER CHICKEN TAQUITOS
Good news! These taquitos freeze like a dream. Bake them first, allow them to cool, then place them on a baking sheet in a single layer and pop them in the freezer. Once they've frozen, transfer to a freezer bag, label, and use within three months.
To warm them up, just place them in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes at 375°F. Easy peasy! We like to double or triple this recipe and serve taquitos at lunch. It's the quickest way to feed a hungry crowd!
Speaking of which, we bet you're getting hungry, right? Well, the wait is almost over. Let's get to that baked chicken taquitos recipe, you guys!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TAQUITOS
This recipe is seriously one of the easiest! You'll have dinner on the table in half an hour, and even the pickiest eaters will devour these taquitos. Here we go, guys!
30-Minute Chicken Taquitos
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2½ cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp salsa
- ¼ cup diced jalapenos (optional)
- olive oil
- sour cream to garnish
- shredded lettuce to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a baking sheet or line with foil or parchment paper.
- Warm tortillas, 6 at a time, for around 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Cook and shred chicken if needed. In a large bowl, combine chicken, taco seasoning, and salsa. Add diced jalapenos if desired.
- Spoon 3 tbsp of the chicken mixture into each tortilla, then roll tightly and brush with olive oil.
- Place rolled tortillas on the baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. Top with your favorite garnishes and enjoy!
We like to top our taquitos with diced tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream. Shredded cheese and avocado are awesome, too! Measure with your heart and add any of your favorite taco toppings.
Now you know the secrets to prepare one of our favorite quick and easy freezer-friendly dinners! Don't be afraid to customize this one. We're planning to make ours with ground beef next time. The beautiful thing about taquitos is that you can use whatever you have.
What's your favorite taquito topping? Leave a comment below or stop by our Shelf Cooking Facebook group and say hi!
Looking for a few more easy, kid-friendly meal ideas?
- This easy pasta bake is a dream!
- These slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches basically cook themselves, and you'll have plenty of leftovers.
- Need a few no-cook dinner options? We have 20+ ideas to share!
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Enjoy!