If you've got $5 and an hour to spare, you can prep lunch (or dinner) for the whole week! These leftover rotisserie chicken recipes are here to save your sanity and your grocery budget.
Busy week ahead? Instead of ordering pizza or hitting up that drive-thru window, grab a rotisserie chicken! It's healthier, it's WAY cheaper, and it gives you options GALORE.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Cooking with rotisserie chicken is the ultimate meal prep and shelf cooking hack! In literally minutes, you can transform that store-bought bird into drool-worthy casseroles, salads, and more.
HOW TO FIND THE BEST DEALS ON ROTISSERIE CHICKEN
Okay, let's go shopping for a chicken or two, shall we? If you want to find the best deals on rotisserie chicken, we've got a few quick tips:
- Make a Costco Run – Costco sells 3-pound rotisserie chickens for just $4.99. Most grocery stores sell 2-pound chickens for a little more, so this is a STEAL! Just don't get distracted by all the shiny objects at the front of the store.
- Learn the Wal-Mart Roasting Schedule – Here's a fun fact. Wal-Mart is required to toss any cooked rotisserie chickens that have been out longer than four hours. So, just before the next batch is ready, they mark down the prices to clear out those chickens. If you're in the know, you can get yours up to 50% off!
- Check the Timestamp – Take a peek at the price tag on your rotisserie chicken. You should see a timestamp. If the store cooked that chicken more than three hours ago, walk over to the deli counter, and ask for a discount!
Every buck counts, right? #TheMoreYouKnow. Okay, ready for some leftover rotisserie chicken recipes? We've got more than a dozen easy ideas!
7 QUICK & EASY ROTISSERIE CHICKEN DINNER RECIPES
Rotisserie chicken is SO incredibly versatile that we could probably share hundreds of dinner recipes with you! But, we know how busy you are, mama, so let's just cut to the chase. Try one of our favorite quick & easy dinner recipes:
- Chicken Alfredo – Make a quick batch of our 5-minute Alfredo sauce, or try our Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo recipe. Easy peasy! Toss in some peas or broccoli to sneak those veggies into the diet.
- Fried Rice – Ready for one of the world's easiest one-dish dinners? Use what you've got and cut a few corners by adding rotisserie chicken to the mix. You'll have dinner on the table in under 20 minutes.
- Chicken & Broccoli Casserole – Steam some broccoli, then mix it with a can of cream of chicken soup, toss in some shredded rotisserie chicken, top with some crushed crackers or breadcrumbs, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, and bake at 350° F for around 30-minutes. Your kids will beg for seconds!
- White Chicken Chili – Ready for another EASY recipe? Grab a large pot, toss in about 32 ounces of chicken broth, two cans of white beans, one jar of green salsa, a packet of taco seasoning, and some chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer for around 30-minutes. That's it!
- Tacos – Warm up your shredded chicken, top with salsa, cheese, and guacamole, and make Taco Tuesday a breeze! Serve with Mexican rice and refried beans.
- Pulled Chicken Sandwiches – Grab your favorite barbecue sauce, heat up a few buns, and you are done!
- Chicken Noodle Soup – Toss your favorite veggies and noodles in some broth, boil, then add your shredded rotisserie chicken. Enjoy!
Now you've got a weeks' worth of chicken rotisserie chicken recipes for dinner! You're welcome. Let's talk lunch ideas next!
7 LUNCH OR SNACK IDEAS
Stuck in a lunch rut? Not anymore! Try one of these amazing leftover rotisserie chicken recipes this week:
- Quesadillas – We are obsessed with quesadillas. Try modifying our steak quesadilla recipe by using chicken instead.
- Chicken Wrap – Here's another way to use what you've got! Throw your leftovers veggies, some cheese, and dressing on that wrap, and enjoy a fresh, filling lunch in no time.
- Mason Jar Salad – Trying to eat healthier? You've got this girl! Add some of your leftover rotisserie chicken to a mason jar salad.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip – Does dip count as lunch? It does in our book! Shred your leftover rotisserie chicken and toss it in the crockpot with a block of cream cheese, your favorite hot sauce, and some shredded cheddar. Cook on low for about 2 hours. Use crackers or veggies to dip!
- Chicken Salad – Make your favorite chicken salad recipe in no time with some rotisserie chicken leftovers! Toss in grapes, celery, or any other produce you need to use.
- Chicken Panini – Spread a little pesto on two slices of bread, add some chicken and the cheese of your choice, then grill for a few minutes in a panini press or the stovetop. So fancy, so easy, and SO delicious!
- DIY Lunchables – Our kids love Lunchables, but we don't love the price tags, so we make our own! Find out how we create DIY Lunchables. You can totally use chicken!
Now you've got plenty of lunch ideas for the month! Who needs PB&J every day?! Leftover rotisserie chicken for the win!
CAN YOU FREEZE LEFTOVER ROTISSERIE CHICKEN?
Okay, one last order of business. Before you run out and buy all the rotisserie chickens, we bet there's one question on your mind. Can you freeze leftover rotisserie chicken? Well, we're glad you asked!
Yes, you CAN freeze rotisserie chicken, and we totally recommend it! Debone your chicken, and divide the meat into several portions. Wrap each portion in saran wrap, then wrap in foil or toss each portion in a freezer bag. Don't forget to label it! Thaw overnight in the refrigerator when you're ready to use. We suggest eating it within four months.
Now you know why we love rotisserie chickens so much! Save yourself time, money, and effort with these leftover rotisserie chicken recipes and hacks. Meal prep is a breeze with the right shortcuts!
Before you go, we'd love to hear what you think! Do you have a favorite leftover rotisserie chicken recipe? Drop a comment below or start a conversation in our Shelf Cooking Facebook group!
Looking for more cooking hacks to try?
- Find out how to make soup from scratch.
- Learn how to use that Instant Pot you got for Christmas! These Instant Pot hacks will save your sanity.
- Save time and money with our top 20+ shelf cooking tips.
Dinner is served! Now go enjoy your extra free time.