Never worry about running out of taco seasoning again! Make this homemade taco seasoning recipe in bulk and always have some on hand for those times when you really need it.
There's something about tacos that can just bring a family together! Whether it's chicken tacos, taco salad, taco soup, taco casserole, or plain ‘ol crunchy tacos, you really can't go wrong. But what's the worst thing about tacos? If you don't have taco seasoning, you can't really call them tacos! And you always seem to run out and forget to get more at the store at the worst possible time… Wah wah…
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Have you ever thought about making your own? You likely have all of the seasonings that you would need in your pantry already and it's so much cheaper and lasts so much longer! Try your hand at this homemade taco seasoning recipe and never buy any from the store, again. Now that's what we call shelf cooking!
HOW TO MAKE TACO SEASONING
This is just about the easiest bulk recipe that you can make at home! These seasonings are staples in most homes, so you shouldn't have to worry about running to the grocery store to grab any of these. Unless you've been going crazy making this homemade taco seasoning recipe, that is… 😉
- Chili Powder – This will give the taco seasoning a little bit of a kick, but it's really not too bad unless you just have the most delicate of palates.
- Garlic Powder – This just makes everything better! If you are out of garlic powder, then feel free to leave it out and substitute with fresh, minced garlic when you're cooking your meat.
- Onion Powder – The same goes for your onion powder! If you're out of it, just sub with fresh onions when you're cooking your meat.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes – These definitely are spicy. So only add It if everybody eating your dish can handle the heat!
- Dried Oregano – This spice is versatile and can be used in Italian food, as well!
- Paprika – This is where your homemade taco seasoning gets its sweet pepper flavor from.
- Ground Cumin – You can thank this lovely spice for the Mexican flavoring!
- Sea Salt – All dishes need salt, but feel free to lower the amount if you're eating a low sodium diet.
- Black Pepper – Use whatever black pepper that you have on hand!
The ingredients for this homemade taco seasoning recipe really couldn't be any better! They pack such a powerful punch in their flavor profile and really make your food taste that much better. Mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl and they're ready to use. It really is as simple as that and now you know how to make taco seasoning!
STORE IT FOR LATER
If your family goes through the taco seasoning, then you should definitely double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe so that you can store some to easily use later. Mix it all together and store it for up to 6 months in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Now you've got homemade taco seasoning that's ready when you are! (Pro tip! Don't throw away seasoning containers when you empty them. Wash them and you have a practically FREE container for your own blends!)
Be sure to label your container so you know that it's taco seasoning. We would also suggest writing on there to use 2 tablespoons for each packet needed. That way anyone who grabs it to use knows exactly how much is needed!
HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING RECIPE
Alright, let's get our Taco Tuesday on (even if it's a Thursday!) and make some homemade taco seasoning. Woot woot!
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional if you don't like spicy)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
If Making to Use Now
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Use 2 tbsp (1 ounce) seasoning and ½ cup of water to one pound of cooked taco meat and allow to simmer until ready to eat.
If Making to Store
- Double, triple, or quadruple the amount and mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add to an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
Now, who's ready to have a taco party and invite us because we're basically starving right about now! 😉 Three cheers for an easy homemade taco seasoning recipe that you can store in your pantry and never have to worry about running to the store for again, yay!
What's your favorite recipe to make that uses taco seasoning? Let us know in the comments! We're always on the hunt for new recipes to try out.
Looking for some more great recipes?
- Wanting to make even more bulk recipes to store for later use? Make your own pancake mix!
- Love fajitas? Check out this steak rice bowl that you can stretch to feed the whole family!
- Feel like you're getting a restaurant-quality meal without leaving your house and try out these copycat Red Robin BBQ chicken wraps!
Fiesta every day!