Calling all pancake lovers! This quick and easy homemade pancake mix recipe uses ingredients that you probably already! Whip up the mix and have it ready at your fingertips for those mornings when you’re really craving pancakes.
Is your whole family in the mood for some yummy flapjacks but you just looked in the pantry and realized that you don’t have any bags of pancake mix? Darn it, now you either have to run to the store to buy another bag or change up your breakfast plans.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Now hold on just a sec! Instead of changing your plans, go look in your pantry. Chances are, you have these few ingredients to make your own homemade pancake mix! They’re so delicious and fluffy, you’ll be proud to be able to say that they’re homemade.
HOW TO MAKE FLUFFY PANCAKES
There’s something so satisfying about cutting into a warm, fluffy pancake. Here are some of our best tips for achieving those fluffy pancakes (rather than ones that are sad and flat).
- Use Fresh Ingredients – Don’t use out of date ingredients, especially baking powder. That will really affect how fluffy they will be and you don’t want to chance having flat pancakes!
- Substitute Buttermilk – Buttermilk helps to make your pancakes extra fluffy because it kick-starts the baking soda and also helps to break down gluten. Use 1 cup buttermilk to replace the 3/4 cup plain milk.
- Don’t Over-Mix The Batter – If you mix your batter too much, it’ll make your pancakes tough. Stop mixing once you see small lumps!
- Allow Batter To Rest For 5 Minutes – This will allow the gluten that was created during mixing to relax. Try to let it rest for at least 5 minutes, but it’s okay if it goes longer!
- Use A Well-Greased Pan – Oil is a good choice that will get really hot without burning. This comes in extra handy when you’re making a lot on a griddle at once!
- Flip At The Right Time – Wait until you see bubbles that are popping in the middle of the pancake before you flip. Only flip them one time!
See? It’s really not that hard to make some fluffy, homemade pancakes! The worst part is waiting for the batter to rest. 😉
PANCAKE MIX ADD-INS
If you want to give your pancakes an extra little somethin’ somethin’, then try adding one of these ingredients to your pancake mix when you’re whipping them up.
- Chia Seeds
- Flax Seeds
- Chocolate Chips
- Banana Slices
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Chopped Nuts
- Cocoa Powder
- Dried Fruit
You really can’t go wrong with a plain pancake with syrup on top, but those all sound so delicious to add to them!
PANCAKE MIX RECIPE
Okay, now that you know all of the great tips for making delicious homemade flapjacks, let’s get on to the pancake mix recipe!
Homemade Pancake Mix Recipe
For the Pancake Mix (makes 7 cups)
- 6 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tsp Salt
To Make Pancakes (makes 6 pancakes)
- 1 Cup Pancake Mix
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Butter, Melted
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Mix together and store in an airtight container until you're ready to use.
For the Pancakes
- Put pancake mix in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in the melted butter.
- Add the egg mixture to the pancake mix bowl. Mix, but don't worry about getting all of the lumps out.
- Make pancakes and enjoy!
Mmmmmmm, is your mouth watering yet? Now go make you some pancakes!
HOW TO FREEZE PANCAKES
Did you know that you can also freeze pancakes? We like to make ahead a lot of different freezer breakfasts on the weekends so that we can easily grab homemade breakfasts on busy weekday mornings without putting too much effort into it. Winning!
Make a large batch of pancakes as usual. Allow them to cool completely, then put them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and flash freeze them. Once they’re frozen, store them in a freezer bag. Pull them out as you need them, stick them on a plate, and microwave them for 30 seconds to a minute, or until they’re hot. It’s always nice to start the day with a hot breakfast… Even nicer when you don’t have to get up early to make it!
BAM!! Easy peasy and super tasty!! What’s your favorite pancake mix add-in? Let us know in the comments!
Looking for more great shelf cooking ideas?