One of the most delicious ways to make beef go the distance is in a steak fajita rice bowl! This is one of the best “not so secret” secrets out there.
Everyone knows that meat can be pricey! In fact, steak (one of our favorite meats), can be really hard on the wallet, if you know what I mean. When we do have steak, we try to stretch it pretty far so that it can feed the masses and fill all the bellies!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
If you have teenagers, or husbands, they will definitely appreciate the delicious flavor and heartiness of this meal. Not only that, it’s completely customizable for picky eaters… and for any pantry! Check it out!
TIPS FOR COOKING STEAK
Fajitas are the perfect way to use a lower quality steak and still have a delicious meal! There are quite a few ways to cook your fajita steaks, so just do whatever works best for you and the time that you have.
- On the Grill – Pat the dry rub all over the whole steaks and throw those babies on the grill! Make sure that it’s nice and hot and only flip them once. Use a meat thermometer to know when it’s done, but remember that it’s okay for steaks to stay pink inside if that’s how you like them!
- In the Oven – Slice up your steak, onions and bell peppers and toss in the olive oil and seasonings. Put on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and cook at 400° F for 25-30 minutes or until the steak is cooked and the veggies are soft.
- On the Stovetop – Basically follow the directions above but do them in a pan on the stove! You can find more details in the recipe below. 😉
- In the Slow Cooker – Throw your steak, veggies and seasonings in a lined slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours until the meat is done.
- In the Instant Pot – Slice steak into thin strips, season and add to Instant Pot. Add 1/2 cup of liquid (water or beef stock) and put onions and peppers on top. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, then let pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes before taking it out and adding it to the rice bowl!
See? Five different ways to cook your steak, all of which are super easy!
HOW TO MAKE A STEAK FAJITA RICE BOWL
The most common toppings for steak rice bowls are definitely the bell peppers and onions, a delicious salsa and guacamole! We’re going to have to say that guac is a must-have, here. But that may just be us.
Here’s some ideas for flavors and combos you can add or subtract to make this steak rice bowl dish fit for you and what you have on the shelves in your pantry:
- Steak Fajita Meat – Rice bowls are the perfect way to stretch your steaks. If you’ve only got a lone steak in your freezer, don’t fret! It will stretch far with this meal.
- Choose a Grain – Rice or quinoa are perfect as a base for a steak fajita bowl. Or you can opt to go traditional and just make a fajita or quesadilla with a tortilla… We love rice because it is very inexpensive, filling and can go a long way.
- Veggies – Onions, bell peppers, black beans, and corn are some of the most common veggies that you can find in a rice bowl. Beans add protein and fiber. Plus they are perfect for adding flavor, texture and make your meal go further, especially if you don’t have a lot of meat to work with!
- Additional Toppings – Guacamole, salsa, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, jalapenos, pico de gallo, avocado, lime, ranch, and queso are all delicious toppings to put on top of your steak rice bowl. You really can’t go wrong with any combination of those! Just use whatever you have on hand.
Doesn’t that all sound so delicious? A steak rice bowl is so easy to put together and the leftovers are out. of. this. world. Seriously!
STEAK FAJITA RICE BOWL RECIPE
Alright, so are you ready to get on to this recipe already? Let’s get to it, then!
Steak Fajita Bowl
For the Steak, Onion and Bell Peppers
- 1-2 Lbs Steak, Sliced
- 1 Medium Onion, Sliced
- 3 Bell Peppers
- 3 Tbsp Cooking Oil, Divided
- 1 Lime
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- Salt, To Taste
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
Rice Bowl Ingredients
- 2 Cups Rice, Cooked
- 1 Can Black Beans, Cooked
- Guacamole, To Taste
- Sour Cream, To Taste
- Salsa, To Taste
- Cheese, To Taste
How to Cook the Steak, Onion and Bell Peppers
- In a bowl, combine 1 tbsp cooking oil, juice from half of lime, chili powder, garlic, paprika, onion powder, pepper, cumin, and salt.
- Add sliced steak to the bowl and toss until all pieces are covered.
- Preheat 1 tbsp cooking oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the steak, liquid smoke and red wine vinegar, and cook until it's done to your liking. (Do this in 2 batches if your pan isn't big enough to fit it all at once.)
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp cooking oil to pan, then add onions and cook for a few minutes.
- Add in sliced peppers and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until onions and peppers are to your liking.
- Add steak back to the pan to heat it back up, then remove from heat.
To Make the Rice Bowl
- Add rice to the bowl first.
- Then, add steak, veggies, beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cheese, and any other toppings. Enjoy!
And that’s that! Is your mouth watering yet? Go on and get in the kitchen so you can whip up this delicious steak fajita rice bowl, already! 😉
Wanting some more great shelf cooking ideas?
- Have you ever tried your hand at making a homemade vinaigrette dressing? We’ve got some great flavor combos that you should try!
- Learn how to make quick and easy shredded chicken in the Instant Pot.
- Come see what pantry staples we suggest that you should keep in stock so that you’re always prepared to make quick and easy meals for your family!