So satisfying and sweet, this pineapple rice is the summer side dish you didn't realize you were missing! It's the perfect shelf cooking recipe to add some fun tropical flavor to your menu!
When it comes to summer menu planning, there are a few flavors we just cannot get enough of! We love eating fresh, fruity flavors when the sun is hot and the days are long. It just feels right, you know?
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
That's why the tropical flavors of this amazing Pineapple Rice are seriously the most perfect side dish we could imagine this time of year. Plus, it's quick and easy to make and utilizes ingredients that are likely already chilling in your pantry. Sounds like a win-win!
Ingredients And Variations For Pineapple Rice
We're all pretty familiar with regular ol' white rice, and you might be feeling a little ho-hum about it after eating it over and over again. That's why this easy switch-up is so amazing! With only a couple extra ingredients you can create a completely new flavor by using a cheap staple food in your pantry.
To make pineapple rice you'll need:
- Uncooked long-grain white rice
- A large can of crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits
- A lime
And that's it! We'll show you below how easy it is to combine these ingredients to create something super yummy.
Sticking with the original recipe is a-ok, but if you decide you want to switch things up a little, here are some ideas!
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to spice things up!
- Throw in diced cooked ham or chicken to add some protein.
- Replace water with chicken broth for extra flavor.
- Add a tablespoon or two of sugar if you want your rice extra sweet.
- Or, add half a teaspoon of salt if you want some savory to balance the sweet.
- Sprinkle with cilantro for an extra pop of flavor.
What To Serve With Pineapple Rice
Like most rice dishes, pineapple rice is very versatile and works great as a side dish for a wide variety of meals. Some of our favorites to serve it with are:
- Baja-style Fish Tacos
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Bubba's Easy Smoked Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Copycat Bang Bang Shrimp
We also think that pineapple rice pairs perfectly for pretty much anything from the grill. Chicken or beef kabobs, grilled fish, steak, or even grilled veggies would be delicious next to the sweetness of this rice. Try it out and let us know what your favorite is!
How To Make Pineapple Rice
As promised, here is the amazingly simple recipe for this fabulous dish!
Perfect Pineapple Rice
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits
- water according to recipe instructions (see below)
- 1/4 cup butter
- Juice of 1 lime, or 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- Add the rice to a medium saucepan.
- Drain the liquid from the can of crushed pineapple into a large liquid measuring cup, add water until you have 4 cups of liquid total. Pour into the saucepan with the rice.
- Add the crushed pineapple and butter, then turn heat to medium-high and cook until boiling, stirring often.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until rice is cooked through.
- Remove from heat, add lime juice and zest, and fluff with a fork. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Pineapple Rice
Want to use your Instant Pot instead of the stovetop to make your rice? We gotchu, boo! Follow these instructions:
- Place rice in the pressure cooker.
- Drain the liquid from the can of crushed pineapple into a large liquid measuring cup, add water until you have 2 cups of liquid total. Pour into the saucepan with the rice. Add the crushed pineapple and butter.
- Turn the cooker on, select “Manual,” then set to high pressure. Set the timer for 3 minutes. After the cook time has ended, natural release for about 20 minutes. Stir in lime juice and zest, and enjoy!
How To Prep And Save For Later
If you love this recipe and want to freeze extra to enjoy later, allow the rice to cool completely, then scoop into freezer bags, and seal airtight. Label with the date and type of rice. Press into a flat layer and freeze for up to 2 months.
To reheat, break the frozen rice into chunks, place in a microwave-safe bowl, and cover tightly with plastic wrap or a microwave-safe lid or plate. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, or just until heated through. Fluff with a fork and you're ready to eat!
We hope you give this one a try, because we think you'll love it!
If you like this recipe, we have more for you to check out!
- Our Shelf Cooking Subscription Plan is full of amazing, simple recipes that your family will love. Let us worry about the planning so you only have to do the cooking!
- This yummy make-ahead breakfast casserole will simplify your morning. Plus, it's delicious!
- These Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches are full of irresistible tropical flavor!
Have a rice day!