Good news! You can bring the flavors of bang bang shrimp home without racking up a pricey restaurant tab. This copycat Bonefish Grill bang bang shrimp recipe is a must-try!
We never share a recipe with you guys unless we love it, but when we tell you we LOVE this one, well, we mean it! Trust us. If you're a fan of seafood, stop what you're doing and save this to Pinterest, or bookmark this for later.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
If you're not already drooling over the picture, you will be when you take the first bite of this bang bang shrimp recipe! Not only are we about to serve up all the details on one of our favorite copycat dishes, but we've got options galore for you to use the leftover sauce, serve up this bang bang shrimp in new ways, and more. Here we go!
HOW TO MODIFY THIS BANG BANG SHRIMP RECIPE
While we don't like to brag, we think this recipe is perfection! But, since we're all about helping you waste less food and save a ton on your grocery bills, we thought we'd start by showing you how to modify this recipe if you need to. Here are some quick tips:
- Shrimp – You can use frozen if you don't have fresh! Just be sure to thaw them first.
- Cornstarch – Using cornstarch and flour instead of panko kept the breading crispy, light, and as close to the original as it gets. However, if you need to use panko bread crumbs, you can!
- Mayonnaise – Out of mayo? Use sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to make the sauce instead or make your own homemade mayonnaise!
- Sriracha – Two notes here! First, if you don't like spicy food, you can use one teaspoon instead of the half tablespoon this recipe calls for. Want more heat? Add a full tablespoon. Don't have Sriracha? Use a tabasco-based hot sauce, like Texas Pete.
- Sweet Chili Sauce – If you don't keep sweet chili sauce on hand, you've got options! Add some hot sauce to the takeout packets of sweet and sour sauce. (Everyone has those in a drawer, right?!) You could also whip up your own sweet chili concoction with a mixture of honey and hot sauce.
As far as the spices for the breading go, feel free to use what you have on hand! You can add a pinch of cayenne or onion powder to the mix. A little lime zest would also be delicious. Variety is the spice of life. 😉
OTHER WAYS TO USE BANG BANG SHRIMP SAUCE
If you have extra sauce or want to make a big batch, here are some amazing ways to use it:
- On chicken
- As a taco sauce
- In omelets
- Dipping sauce for potatoes
- Chicken nuggets or tenders dipping sauce
- Sauce for wings
- Buffalo cauliflower sauce
- Coating for other fish
- Salad dressing
- Veggie dip
You could probably find a million and one more ways to use this, so whatever you do, don't toss it! Bang bang shrimp sauce is the equivalent of liquid gold, so save it in old baby food jars or fill an old mustard bottle. #DoWhatYaGottaDo
FUN & CREATIVE WAYS TO SERVE YOUR SHRIMP
Aside from eating your bang bang shrimp just the way it is, what are some other ways to serve it? We love these ideas:
- Salads – Round up all your favorite salad toppings, and use the bang bang shrimp as your protein. Speaking of salads, have you tried our homemade croutons?
- Pasta – Boil your favorite noodles and top them with this bang bang shrimp. You may want to double the sauce, so you have enough to go around!
- Tacos – Grab your favorite toppings and some tortillas and go to town.
- Quesadillas – With a few leftover tortillas and a little shredded cheese, you'll be good to go. You can never go wrong with a cheesy quesadilla.
- Rice Bowls – There's no wrong way to make a rice bowl! Adding bang bang shrimp to the mix only adds to the “wow” factor!
- Lettuce Wraps – Need to use some leftover lettuce? Make bang bang shrimp lettuce wraps!
- Egg Roll Bowls – Have you ever made an egg roll bowl? It's all the egg roll goodness minus the carbs! Try this easy egg roll bowl recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything and add your leftover bang bang shrimp to the mix.
- Wrap – Bang bang shrimp wraps are a delicious lunch option!
Anyone else starving now?! We'll get to the recipe ASAP, promise. Just one more thing: let's talk about how to store leftovers.
HOW TO STORE YOUR FAVE BONEFISH COPYCAT LEFTOVERS
Can you freeze bang bang shrimp? How long will they last in the fridge? Those are great questions! Here are the quick answers:
- Can You Freeze It? – Yep! Just place your leftovers in an airtight bag or container, and be sure to use them within three months.
- Refrigerator Instructions – Would you rather store your leftovers in the fridge? That's fine! Just be sure to use them within 48 hours.
If you have an air fryer, that's the best way to reheat your leftover bang bang shrimp. It will help keep the breading crispy! Just spray your tray, preheat to 380°F, and warm for 4-5 minutes.
THE BEST-EVER BANG BANG SHRIMP RECIPE
There are many copycat versions of this recipe, but there is only ONE winner. This is it! How is ours different? First, we use eggs, not buttermilk, in the breading. This allowed the coating to really stick to our shrimp and not fall off. Are you ready for this?!
Easy Bang Bang Shrimp Recipe
- 12 oz shrimp (peeled, deveined, tail-off)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Canola oil for frying
- ½ cup mayo
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- ½ Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
For the sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients. Set aside.
For the shrimp
- Heat one to two inches of oil in a large cast-iron skillet until simmering.
- While oil is heating, prepare the breading in two shallow dishes. In one, whisk together the eggs. In another, combine the cornstarch, flour, and spices.
- Dredge the shrimp in the eggs first, then the cornstarch mix, pressing well to adhere.
- Drop them into the hot oil and cook until golden, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Place on a paper towel or wire rack to drain.
- Toss in the sauce, then serve and enjoy!
We can't even with this one, you guys! How ridiculously GOOD does it look?!
The next time you start craving Bonefish Grill, do yourself a favor and try this recipe instead! You'll save so much money, and you'll be super proud of how delicious this bang bang shrimp turns out.
Which copycat restaurant recipe would you like to see next? Let us know in the comments!
Want to try a few more of our favorite copycat recipes?
- This copycat Red Robin chicken BBQ wrap recipe is so easy to make!
- Give us five minutes, and we'll teach you how to make Chick-fil-A sauce.
- Calling all Cafe Rio fans: this sweet pork recipe is a must-try!
We're going out with a bang!