Need a side dish or breakfast idea that will wow a crowd? Then, whip up this copycat Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole recipe in no time! Warning: this one will cause cravings.
It's hard to believe, but the holidays are just around the corner! Eeek! If you're looking for something new to serve up this year, then this recipe is just what the doctor ordered.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
If you've ever eaten at Cracker Barrel, then you know how mind-blowingly delicious their hashbrown casserole is. If not, you're in for a treat because this hashbrown casserole recipe is about as close as it gets! Shall we do this?
WAYS TO MODIFY THIS RECIPE
If you're new to Shelf Cooking, welcome! We do things a little differently around here. This isn't just a recipe blog; this is a movement, y'all! We're on a mission to help families save money and waste less food by using ingredients they already have at home before buying more at the store. So, here's how you can shelf cook your way through the casserole and modify this recipe if you need to:
- Shredded Potatoes – If you don't have the frozen bags of hashbrowns on hand, make your own! Grab a few large russets and a grater and go to town. Here's a quick homemade hashbrowns recipe from Allrecipes.
- Cheddar Cheese – All out of cheddar? Use Colby Jack, Swiss, Mozzarella, or Parmesan instead.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – If you don't have the cream of chicken soup in the pantry, use cream of mushroom or cream of cheddar instead.
- Onion – No fresh onion? Sub in garlic, or use dried onion flakes.
- Sour Cream – You can use plain Greek yogurt instead if you need to!
- Add-Ins – If you want to turn this side dish into a meal, you can toss in some leftover shredded chicken, diced ham, ground beef, turkey, or sausage. Want to add some veggies? Diced bell peppers or steamed broccoli make the perfect addition!
Alright, now that all your ingredients are ready to go, let's turn this into a full-blown meal! We've got several main dish options to share.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
If you add a little meat to this hashbrown casserole, it can totally stand on its own as a main dish. If not, this recipe makes the perfect side. Here are some other recipes to pair up with these easy, cheesy potatoes:
- Buttermilk Biscuits – If you want the full Cracker Barrel experience, whip up a batch of our yummy buttermilk biscuits.
- Egg Muffin Cups – Christmas brunch, anyone? Serve these egg muffin cups with the hashbrown casserole on the side.
- Meatloaf – Two comfort foods unite! Serve this on the side with a big batch of grandma's classic meatloaf.
- Pork – This hashbrown casserole is delicious with pork tenderloin or pork chops!
- Turkey – We think this is the perfect Thanksgiving side! Learn how to make a turkey the easy way!
- Ham – If you want to serve ham for Christmas dinner, make a batch of this casserole for the side. It's a perfect combo!
- French Onion Chicken – Want to skip the ham or turkey? This French onion chicken is unbelievably good!
If you plan to make this for the holidays, you're probably wondering if you can prep this dish ahead of time. Well, wonder no more! We've got make-ahead and leftover instructions coming right up.
MAKE-AHEAD AND LEFTOVER INSTRUCTIONS
Good news! You can assemble this recipe the night before and store it in the fridge, then bake as instructed when you're ready to serve. What about leftovers? Well, this recipe freezes, too. Just pop everything into an airtight container or double wrap in foil, and store for up to three months.
Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and then bake according to the recipe instructions when you're ready to serve. You can even double this recipe and serve one at Thanksgiving and freeze one for Christmas! Your future self will thank you if you do.
EASY COPYCYAT CRACKER BARREL HASHBROWN CASSEROLE RECIPE
Well, the moment you've been waiting for is here! Are you ready to make this easy, cheesy, dreamy hashbrown casserole recipe?! Let's do this.
Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb frozen, shredded hashbrowns
- ½ stick butter, melted
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ½ can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley or green onions, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8×8 baking dish or pan.
- While the oven preheats, defrost hashbrowns in the microwave, melt butter, and dice the onion.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the thawed hashbrowns, onion, melted butter, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the sour cream, shredded cheese, and soup, then spread the mixture into your greased baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until potatoes are browned, and cheese is bubbly. Top with fresh parsley or green onions, and serve and enjoy!
This recipe is truly easy peasy, so give it a try. Warning: after that first bite you'll crave this hashbrown casserole all the time!
We hope you enjoy this recipe! Let us know what you think, okay? 🙂
While you're here, we'd love to know, what's your favorite way to make potatoes? Drop your favorite potato recipe in the comments below!
Speaking of potatoes, check out these yummy posts!
- The next time you have leftover baked potatoes, try these recipes.
- Want to make the perfect mashed potatoes? We've got you covered.
- Learn how to master the art of frozen potatoes!
Have a spudtacular day!