Mayonnaise is pretty cheap at the store, but did you know it's even cheaper to make yourself at home!? With only five ingredients, this super easy and quick homemade mayonnaise recipe will be ready to mix into chicken salad or spread on your sandwich in just five minutes!
Isn't it the pits when you get all that leftover chicken out and ready for some yum-o chicken salad sandwiches only to realize you're totally out of mayonnaise? Blast! Well, fret not, friend. We're going to show you the easiest and most delicious homemade mayonnaise recipe ever so you don't have to run out to the store!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
All you need for this simple homemade mayonnaise recipe is five common ingredients, a jar, and an immersion blender. (Don't worry, you can use a whisk and a bowl if you don't have an immersion blender.) Alright, enough chit-chat. Let's get to the recipe!
WHY MAKE HOMEMADE MAYONNAISE
We've already discussed how cheap store-bought mayonnaise is, so you may be asking yourself, “Why make your own?” Here are our top reasons we love homemade mayonnaise and we think you will, too!
- Save Some Moolah – As cheap as store-bought is, homemade is EVEN CHEAPER! Hey, every penny counts when you're a frugal queen, right?
- Skip the Fillers – Like it or not, almost every processed food we buy from the store has some questionable, unidentifiable ingredients in it, right? Skip the unnecessary fillers and make a “cleaner” version at home for a healthy win!
- Save on Waste – Since you make this homemade mayonnaise recipe in a reusable glass jar, it's much more eco-conscious than buying it in plastic containers that just get tossed into the garbage when they're empty!
- Flavor Town – The flavor of this homemade mayo is next level! If you're a mayo fanatic, this homemade mayonnaise recipe is going to rock your world.
Okay, now that you're fully convinced you need to make this mayonnaise recipe, let's talk about all our favorite ways to use it! 😉
HOW TO STORE YOUR HOMEMADE MAYONNAISE
Homemade mayonnaise should stay good in your fridge for up to one week. Keep it in a sealed jar to maintain freshness. While you technically can freeze your homemade mayo, it's not recommended. The emulsified ingredients are likely to separate when you thaw it and the texture or look won't be the same!
Since it only keeps for a week, make a small batch each week when you do the rest of your meal prep work. It only adds a few minutes of time and it's so worth it, if you ask us!
Just like any good Shelf Cooking recipe, this homemade mayo can be adjusted to fit your needs and your pantry ingredients!
- Swap the Oil – This recipe calls for olive oil, but feel free to swap that for any oil you have on hand! The flavor profile may change but it will still come together and be delicious.
- Dijon is Optional – The dijon mustard in this recipe is simply there to add a flavor kick. Don't have any? Leave it out entirely!
- Lemon or Vinegar – If you don't have lemon juice or white wine vinegar on hand, use whatever vinegar you do have. Apple cider vinegar works great!
- Spice It Up – Toss in your favorite spices and herbs to make the flavor your own!
Swap away, mama!
HOW TO USE HOMEMADE MAYONNAISE
This homemade mayonnaise recipe has a deliciously thick and creamy texture, just like the stuff you buy at the store. It can literally be used in place of store-bought mayo in any recipe with flawless results! Here are some of our favorite ways to eat it.
- Potato Salad – This southern potato salad recipe is the best you'll ever eat!
- Cole Slaw – Simply stir the mayo in with some shredded cabbage, add a splash of white vinegar, and season with salt and pepper to taste! Serve on top of these pulled pork sandwiches or this chicken BBQ sandwich. Yes, please!
- Copycat Chick-fil-A Sauce – This copycat Chick-fil-A sauce is as good as the real thing!
- Chicken Salad – As we mentioned earlier, this is a fantastic way to turn leftover chicken into an easy lunch!
- Fish Taco Sauce – You won't believe how good this Baja fish taco sauce is! Whip up these tacos and sauce for dinner!
- Tomato Pie – It may sound strange, but this tomato pie recipe from Just Is a Four Letter Word is melt-in-your-mouth incredible! Plus, it's a great way to use up fresh tomatoes.
- Copycat Red Robin Campfire Sauce – Any Red Robin fans in the house?! You have got to try this Campfire Sauce copycat!
These are just some of our favorites. For even more awesome ways to use your homemade mayonnaise, check out our post with 30+ magical uses of mayo!
WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE AN IMMERSION BLENDER?
While this recipe will come together much faster and easier with an immersion blender, it's not a make-or-break item. If you don't have one, use a whisk to whip quickly while you add the oil into the rest of the ingredients very slowly. This is key to get the mayonnaise to emulsify.
HOMEMADE MAYONNAISE RECIPE
Okay, it's time for the homemade mayonnaise recipe already! But first, for a quick disclaimer… There is a lot of conflicting information about whether or not it's safe to consume raw eggs. Please do your homework and be the judge of what's safe for your family! Alright, let's get to it already!
Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup olive oil + 2 ½ tbsp
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard (optional, for a little kick!)
- 1 pinch salt
- Have a clean, wide mouth jar ready and add the ingredients in this order: egg, oil, vinegar, salt, and dijon mustard. Be careful not to break the egg yolk!
- Insert the immersion blender and blend on high for about 15 seconds. Do not move the blender around, but instead keep it still while you blend.
- Once your homemade mayonnaise begins to emulsify and cream up, you can carefully move the immersion blender up and down to incorporate all the oil.
- Stand back, pat yourself on the back, and enjoy!
Okay, we're totally drooling over here! Excuse us while we go whip up some of this homemade goodness…
What's your favorite way to use mayonnaise? Tell us in the comments below!
Want more awesome shelf cooking ideas? Check out these posts, too!
- Not sure what's for dinner tonight? This list of easy dinner ideas is just what you need!
- Freezer overflowing? Learn how to thaw anything and start using those goodies up!
- Get these 30+ recipe substitutions every shelf cooker needs to know!
Mayo the force be with you!