Buying that big tub of mayonnaise seemed like SUCH a good deal at the time, right? But now you're wondering how the heck you're going to use it before it goes bad! Good news, we're about to share some seriously genius mayonnaise uses, so keep on reading.
We're pretty big mayonnaise fans around here, so we like buying in bulk to save a little cash. Not only is the stuff delicious on sandwiches, but mayonnaise has a TON of uses, both in and out of the kitchen.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Whether you have a big tub of mayonnaise that's nearing its expiration or you just like to find fun ways to make your favorite recipes even better, we think you'll love these ideas! We're about to share dozens of mayonnaise uses that just might surprise you. Let's do it!
HOW TO USE MAYONNAISE IN BAKED GOODS
If you've never added a little mayonnaise to your desserts, you're missing out! We know it sounds strange, but trust us. You NEED to try it. Mayonnaise makes baked goods so moist and fluffy! Add some mayonnaise to one of these sweet treats:
- Brownies – Don't worry; you won't taste the mayonnaise, but you'll definitely notice the difference! Just add half a cup to your next batch. You won't believe how moist they are.
- Pound Cake – Most pound cake recipes call for sour cream, but you can use mayonnaise instead! We think it's actually better that way.
- Boxed Cake – Make your boxed cake mix cake even dreamier with a little mayo. Just like those brownies, you'll notice how much moister that cake is!
- Cookies – We know it sounds a little crazy, but, hey it works! Mayonnaise makes the perfect substitute for eggs when baking. Just use three tablespoons per egg you're replacing. And because of the added oil, expect a denser cookie! Not a bad thing, if you ask us.
Go ahead and experiment with some of your other favorite dessert recipes, too. Mayonnaise is the perfect shelf cooking secret weapon!
MAIN DISH MAYONNAISE USES
Want to give your mayo a seat at the head of the dinner table? Well, you've got options! Here are a few of our favorite ways to use mayonnaise in main dishes:
- Chicken Casserole – Pull some shredded chicken out of the freezer, thaw, and place in a casserole dish with one cup of mayo, one can of cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper, and steamed broccoli. Top with shredded cheese and crushed crackers, place a few pats of butter on top. Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes, and prepare for love at first bite!
- Shrimp Rolls – Combine some chilled shrimp with mayo, lemon juice, and garlic salt. Serve on toasted rolls for a quick and easy meal.
- Tuna Noodle Casserole – This creamy tuna noodle casserole from Taste of Home is comfort on a plate! Sub in mayo for the sour cream.
- Crispy Chicken – Marinade a few boneless chicken breasts in pickle juice overnight. Coat with mayonnaise, and then coat in breadcrumbs. Pan-fry and serve immediately!
- Macaroni & Cheese – We've never met anyone who doesn't love mac and cheese, and this one is to die for! Combine 2/3 cup of mayo with 1/2 cup of milk. Add garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook over low heat until it thickens. Add in shredded mozzarella to your liking, and YUM! SO rich. Toss in some cooked macaroni, and you're good to go.
- Chicken Alfredo – Use that leftover mac and cheese sauce for chicken Alfredo!
Suddenly, we're starving! Mayonnaise, for the win, right? Now, on to sides and salads!
SALADS + SIDES: OUR FAVORITE MAYONNAISE USES
There are hundreds of ways to incorporate mayonnaise in salads and side dishes, but these are a few of our faves:
- Deviled Eggs – You know what to do! Top those eggs with a few bacon bits for added oomph! And here's a quick hack: learn how to make the perfect hard-boiled eggs.
- Egg Salad – While you have boiled eggs on hand, whip up a batch of egg salad for quick sandwiches.
- Chicken Salad – There's no wrong way to make chicken salad, but the mayo really makes this dish! Add in any fruits or veggies you need to use up and toss in a boiled egg or two.
- Tuna Salad – Pop open a can of tuna, mix in some mayo, season with salt and pepper, and you've got one of the easiest lunches ever.
- Cole Slaw – Just shred some cabbage, stir in mayo, a splash of white vinegar, and some salt and pepper! Serve with these pulled pork sandwiches. Yum!
- Broccoli Salad – Here's another perfect opportunity to use what you've got! We like to add bacon bits and little shredded cheddar to our broccoli salad. Cranberries add a delicious twist, too!
Salad's not so bad when there's mayo involved! Ready for some sauce, now?
SAUCES & SPREADS
Sauces and spreads are kind of our jam because they make shelf cooking SO easy! You can mix and match plain proteins and add some pizzaz with any easy homemade sauce. Try one of these:
- Tzatziki Sauce – Instead of using yogurt as the base, try mayonnaise! We love to add homemade Tzatziki to a healthy rice bowl or use it for dipping veggies.
- Pimiento Cheese – This is a true southern delicacy, y'all! Grab our super easy pimiento cheese recipe.
- Fry Sauce – Make your own fry sauce at home! (If you know, you know.) Just mix mayo, ketchup, and a splash of Worcestershire. Dip away!
- Ranch Dressing – Grab a packet of ranch dressing mix and combine it with mayonnaise for a creamy veggie dip.
- Garlic Dipping Sauce – Add some freshly minced garlic to your mayonnaise for a nice dipping sauce for potatoes or steak. You can spread it on burgers, too.
Be bold and experiment! Mayonnaise is the perfect base for dips and sauces. Try adding lemon juice and red pepper or a packet of french onion soup mix. Tons of possibilities!
CLEANING HACKS YOU NEED TO TRY
Mayonnaise isn't just handy for cooking! It also has cleaning superpowers. Ready to be amazed? Check out these life-changing mayonnaise uses:
- Polish Fridge – Need to get fingerprints off that stainless steel fridge? Instead of using a pricey spray, try using mayonnaise! It's amazing.
- Clean Hardwood Floors – Mayonnaise helps get rid of scuffs and scratches and restores shine to your lovely hardwoods. A little goes a long way! Grab a cloth and get to work. It's actually kinda fun!
- Loosen Sticker Residue – The remnants of a sticker can be so dang annoying! Whether you need to get an old bumper sticker off your car or your kids put a sticker on your wall, mayonnaise can help. Rub some on that residue and watch it dissolve.
- Remove Crayon Marks – If your kids decide to practice their art skills on your wooden furniture, don't panic! Rub a little mayo on it, let it sit for a few, then wipe clean with a damp cloth. It comes right off like magic!
Pretty dang cool, huh? We almost want to go color on our dining room table just to test out that new trick. Just kidding! Instead, let's talk about self-care for a few. Yup, mayonnaise can do that, too.
HOW TO USE MAYONNAISE AS A BEAUTY PRODUCT
If you love DIY beauty hacks, then you'll love these mayonnaise uses! Save yourself a little money with one of these tricks:
- Hair Conditioner – High in oil and fat and oh-so-creamy, it's not shocking that mayonnaise makes a really great hair conditioner. Use it as a deep conditioning treatment once per week or so. Cover your hair from roots to ends, allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes, then rinse and enjoy that shine!
- Manicure – Doing an at-home mani? Treat your cuticles to a little mayo treatment. Rub it on like lotion. Trust us!
- Sunburn Treatment – The next time you get a gnarley burn, reach for the mayonnaise instead of aloe. Pretty crazy, but people swear by this trick!
- Moisturize – Have dry, cracked skin? Rub some mayo on it, let it sit for around 10 minutes, then wipe clean with a damp cloth. It will take the dead skin right off!
We weren't lying when we said mayonnaise is magical! And guess what? We couldn't resist, so we have a few more random ideas to share.
7 MORE RANDOM (AND AWESOME!) MAYONNAISE USES
Okay, we have a few more tricks up our sleeve! Just when you thought mayonnaise couldn't get any more versatile, here you go:
- Grilling – There's nothing more frustrating than getting food stuck on the grill. It's a mess to clean up, and it's a waste of perfectly good food! The next time you grill, coat your meat or seafood in mayonnaise first.
- Mashed Potatoes – Skip the sour cream and opt to mix-in some mayo! You won't be disappointed.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich – You probably use butter when you make a grilled cheese sandwich, and there's nothing wrong with that. But we have to tell you; mayonnaise makes it so much better! Try it. You'll love the way the bread turns out!
- Biscuits – We're a little obsessed with this hack. Check out this mayonnaise biscuits recipe from cdkitchen!
- Soup – Need to thicken a soup? Make it creamier? More flavorful? Add in a spoonful or two of mayonnaise!
- Mexican Street Corn – Mayonnaise doesn't belong on corn on the cob, right? Au contraire, you guys! Slather some mayo, garlic, and cheese on your corn. Grill and enjoy!
- Binding Agent for Breading – Whether you're coating chicken tenders, breading pork chops, or making crab cakes, toss some mayo in the mix! It's a great binding agent. And bonus: it helps keep your meat moist.
Pretty incredible, huh? We're down for some Mexican street corn tonight. It's perfect with this crockpot salsa chicken!
WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE WAY TO USE MAYONNAISE?
Now you have no excuse to throw away extra mayonnaise! Who knew that jar held so much power?! Seriously. It's magical, you guys.
Tell us, what's your favorite way to use mayonnaise? Leave a comment below or stop by our Shelf Cooking Facebook group and start a conversation!
Looking for more kitchen hacks?
- Use these free kitchen inventory printables to make meal planning so much easier!
- Need to double or triple a recipe? This kitchen conversion chart makes it easy!
- Conquer the clutter with these freezer organization ideas.
You know what to do; go ahead and grab the mayo!