Freezers are pretty much the holy grail of shelf cooking. These freezer organization ideas will take your freezer from drab to fab. We've got the cool skinny on the hacks, tricks, and highly-rated, gotta-have-it products for the ultimate freezer makeover!
Investing in a good freezer pays off in the long run, but coughing up that cash can be a tough pill to swallow at first. Gulp! What happens if the power goes out? What's the best way to build a food stockpile? And how the heck can you keep everything organized?
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
We've got answers to all your burning freezer questions (including how to prevent freezer burn), and we're about to spill the tea! These freezer organization ideas will change your life. Are you ready?
FREEZER ORGANIZATION IDEAS: QUICK TIPS & TRICKS
Scared to open your freezer because it's a mess? No more leaning towers of leftovers for you! Here are some quick tips to get you started on the journey from freezer drab to freezer fab:
- Take Inventory – Take a few minutes (or hours, we're not here to judge), and jot down everything you currently have.
- Sort Foods by Type – Once you've made your list, look for patterns, and come up with 4 – 5 categories. You can choose the system that works best for your family! For example, you might have a category for fruits, vegetables, dinners, breakfasts, and desserts/baked goods.
- Invest in the Right Storage Containers – Next, figure out which containers are best suited for each of your categories. Do you want to use all bags? All glass containers? A combination? Decide what you have space for and what makes the most sense for the types of food you'll be storing.
- Label Everything – After you get your containers prepped and ready, label them all. Seriously! This might be the most important step of all. We suggest not just noting the date you freeze an item but also any instructions for reheating. It will make your life SO much easier! Grab your Sharpie!
Alright, now that we've got a plan of attack let's go shopping! First stop: containers.
FREEZER ORGANIZATION IDEAS: THE COOLEST CONTAINERS
With the right containers, you can get organized in no time. And your freezer won't just look prettier; your food will be easier to find, and it will last longer, too! By the way, if you're ever wondering how long food lasts in the freezer, we've got you covered. Go ahead and bookmark that one.
Here are a few freezer containers we love:
- Plastic Deli Food Storage Containers – You know those containers they pack your soup in at your favorite Chinese takeout spot? They are GOLD when it comes to getting your freezer organized. Save them, or buy a fresh set on Amazon.
- Freezer Bags – Don't sleep on freezer bags! This humble invention is the hero of shelf cooking. It's a great item to keep in stock for leftover storage and perfect for small freezers.
- Meal Prep Containers with Lids – Use these containers to make ahead TONS of lunches. Who needs pricey frozen meals anyway? Make your own!
- Silicone Food Bags – These airtight bags are SO versatile! Use them to store liquids, sandwiches, and more.
- Reusable Stretch Lids – Somehow, those Tupperware lids seem to disappear at the worst times! Maybe they're off on a private island with all the missing socks? Who knows! These silicone lids are freezer safe and airtight. Perfect for food storage!
- Freezer Bins – Organize your foods by type, with a bin for each! It will make life so much easier.
Meal prepping is SO much more fun when you have the right containers! Warning: freezer organization can become addictive. Make sure to set a budget before you stock up!
FREEZER ALARMS AND THERMOMETERS
Alright, hear us out. We know freezer alarms and thermometers might not sound super exciting, but these are pretty dang cool. And SO worth it! Trust us. You don't want to lose a freezer full of food. So, be sure to check out this post about how to freeze food the right way, then grab one of these for peace of mind:
- Basic Thermometer – This thermometer will only set you back $5, and it might not be fancy, but it gets the job done! Keep an eye on the temperature to make sure your frozen foods stay frozen.
- Mini Wireless Temperature Sensor -Looking for something a bit more high tech? This thermometer connects to an app on your phone, so you can track the temp from anywhere.
- Freezer Thermometer with Custom Alarms – Here's another option for techies! It has a digital display and comes with alarms that you can customize! You'll never have to let a freezer fail catch you by surprise again. Oh, and it's less than $40!
See? Pretty cool, huh? Okay, moving on to every gal's favorite topic: accessories! No, not shoes and purses… but freezer accessories are just as much fun, right? Well, almost, anyway!
FAB FREEZER ACCESSORIES
Aside from storage containers and alarms and gadgets, what are some other things that make freezing food a breeze? Here are six more products we love:
- Dissolvable Food Labels – Are we the only ones who think labeling is kinda fun? Grab some of these freezer-ready labels and take good notes. Remember, include the date and any instructions!
- Vacuum Sealer – No more freezer burn! Get all the air out with a vacuum sealer. This one has great Amazon reviews and an even better price point.
- Popsicle Molds –Who doesn't love popsicles?! It's never a bad idea to have these around. You can also freeze broth in these molds to use for cooking or yogurt for a fun treat. So versatile, you guys! Oh, and if you need a recipe to try, check out this tropical popsicle recipe.
- Bag Holders – These are GENIUS! If you've ever had a soup pouring catastrophe, then you get it. Use these bad boys to hold your bags in place while you pour.
- Sheet Pans – Baking sheets aren't just for cooking. They make organization a breeze! Grab a few from the Dollar Tree and use them to keep like items together. They also work great as a separator!
- Waxed Paper – This one is essential! Use it to separate meat patties, French toast sticks, pancakes, and more! You can buy the pre-cut squares or cut your own to save some cash.
Now that you've got everything you need to get that freezer in tip-top shape, let's go shopping for one more thing! If you're in the market for a new freezer, we've got you covered.
NEED A FREEZER? HERE ARE A FEW WE LOVE
You knew we couldn't write a post about freezer organization without sharing our picks for some of the best freezers, right? If you're in the market for a freezer, check out one of these highly-rated options:
- Budget Upright Freezer – This Insignia upright freezer is small but mighty! And at under $300, it's the perfect buy for budget-conscious shoppers. If you use our freezer organization ideas, you can make the most of the limited space.
- Splurge Upright Freezer – If you're looking to build a stockpile and willing to spend a bit more, check out this roomy GE freezer. The LED lighting is a nice feature, and the reviews are stellar!
- Budget Chest Freezer – Is a chest freezer more your speed? If you're short on space (or cash), this budget-friendly Insignia chest freezer is a great option.
- Splurge Chest Freezer – This freezer holds a TON, and it comes in at under $1,000. Not too shabby!
Pro Tip: If you want to score the best deals on a freezer (or any appliance, really), plan to shop on holiday weekends! You can also check for sales at the end of the month when retailers are most likely to discount big-ticket items.
Do you have any freezer organization ideas to share? Spill the deets! Leave us a comment below.
Looking for more kitchen hacks?
- Learn how to make your own vanilla extract + get tons of substitution ideas.
- If you're wondering if you can freeze it, wonder no more! We've compiled the ultimate list of items you can freeze.
- Don't let your herbs go bad! Find out how to store fresh herbs and keep them fresh longer.