Craving a sweet treat but don't want to bake a whole cake? Mug recipes to the rescue! From cakes to brownies and even cookies—you'll be surprised what you can make with a mug and a microwave!
If you're anything like us, then the last thing you want to do is wait for an entire pan of brownies to bake when your sweet tooth comes calling. Plus, then you have leftovers to contend with all week. Sure, we love a good leftover… but we all know we don't need that temptation all week, right?!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Whether you want to sneak in a midnight snack without leaving evidence behind, or you want to spice things up for your kids, these easy mug recipes are exactly what you need in your life! Plus, they're a great way to get your kids involved in baking. Fun, easy, and super quick—these babies will become a family favorite for sure.
COMMON INGREDIENTS FOR MUG RECIPES
Sweet mug treats typically use the same standard ingredients, no matter what you're making. Since all of these ingredients are pantry staples, these fast and easy mug recipes are perfect for shelf cooking! Here's what you'll need.
- Baking powder
- 1 egg (sometimes!)
- Vanilla extract
Don't you love how shelf cooking-friendly these are?! Whether you're making a last-minute birthday treat for your sweetie or a secret midnight snack, use what you have and make a sweet treat for pennies that will blow your mind!
CAKE MUG RECIPES
No more busting the budget running out for a treat. Bake a tasty mug cake with ingredients you already have and save some serious dough!
- Coffee Cake in a Mug – This coffee cake in a mug recipe from The Typical Mom is so good. Plus, it's egg-free!
- Chocolate Chip Cake – This delicious goodness is like a chocolate chip cookie in cake form. Grab the recipe from Yummy Tummy. You won't be disappointed!
- Vanilla Mug Cake – This vanilla mug cake from Just So Tasty is anything but plain. The sprinkles make it fun and perfect for whipping up with the kids for a special treat!
- Peanut Butter Cake – Calling all peanut butter lovers! This peanut butter mug cake from Tastes Better From Scratch is seriously drool-worthy.
- Chocolate Mug Cake – This chocolate mug cake from Create Yum is making all our chocolatey dreams come true! Oh, the fudge…
- Strawberries and Cream – Oh my yum! This strawberries and cream mug cake from Tasty is a must-try!
- Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake – Light, refreshing, and oh-so-sweet. Whip up this blueberry lemon mug cake from Lemons and Zest for a mouthwatering dessert.
These single-serving cake mug recipes will satisfy those cravings with seriously little effort and in just a few minutes. Win!
Pro Tip: If your recipe calls for an egg, use the smallest egg you have or use only half an egg so your mug cake doesn't become rubbery!
EASY COOKIE MUG RECIPES
A single cookie in a mug? YES! With just a few ingredients, you'll be enjoying your favorite cookie straight from the microwave. Yum!
- Christmas Cookie in a Mug – Craving that Christmas cookie flavor in the middle of July? No problem! Whip up this microwave mug Christmas sugar cookie from Gemma's Bigger Bolder Baking.
- Snickerdoodle Mug Cookie – This snickerdoodle mug cookie from Five Heart Home is full of cinnamon-sugary awesomeness!
- Oatmeal Cookies – Shout out to the gluten-free babes here! We didn't forget you. 😉 Leelalicious has a yummy oatmeal mug cookie done 3 ways.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie – Mmm. This chocolate chip cookie in a mug from No. 2 Pencil will thrill your tastebuds!
- Monster Cookie Mug – This one will be a kid favorite! Grab the monster cookie in a mug recipe from Food Dolls and make their day with a surprise treat.
Want to take things to the next level? Top your favorite mug recipe with some scrumptious homemade ice cream or blender whipped cream.
BROWNIES IN A MUG
There's a brownie mug recipe for every craving. These are so easy you can even take one to the office and whip it up in the break room microwave for your boss' birthday! Can you say major brownie points… 😉
- Peanut Butter Nutella Brownie – Um, yes please! Grab this peanut butter and Nutella mug brownie recipe from Kirbie's Cravings and live your best life tonight.
- Chocolate Brownie – No eggs? No problemo. This classic chocolate brownie in a mug from Averie Cooks is ready in one minute!
- Peanut Butter Brownie – Chocolate and peanut butter were made for each other! Try this peanut butter brownie recipe from Read Eat Repeat.
- S'mores Brownie Mug – This s'mores brownie mug recipe from Betty Crocker will give you that campfire feel in minutes—without the bugs!
Mhmm. We are seriously drooling now!
CAN YOU MAKE SUBSTITUTIONS?
While we are usually ALL about the substitutions, they aren't typically suggested for mug recipes. If you want to try some of these common baking swaps and see if they work—we say go for it! Just know that it may not be as successful here as it is in a full-sized cake, cookie, or brownie recipe.
Not only are these mug recipes super easy and fast to make, but they're also perfect for those days when nobody can seem to agree on a treat! Let each kid pick their own mug recipe and bake it themselves. Parenting win!
Have you tried any of these mug recipes? Tell us your favorite in the comments below!
Want more sweet treats? Check these out, too!
- This easy sopapilla cheesecake will take you to cinnamon sugar paradise!
- This strawberry cream pie requires NO BAKING and is seriously incredible!
- These ooey gooey bars are addicting. You've been warned!
We hope these mug recipes bake your day!