We crave smoothie bowls all the time because let's face it, they are SO dang good. But the price tag is hard to swallow. So today, we're sharing ten easy smoothie bowl ideas so you can save a ton of money!
Whether you've got fresh fruit, canned, or frozen, we can teach you how to turn it all into a smoothie bowl that tastes just as good as the one you'd buy for $15 at that fancy corner cafe. And don't worry! It won't cost nearly that much.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Say hello to your new favorite breakfast or snack because you're going to love these smoothie bowl ideas! We've got tips and tricks that will help you mix and match your ingredients and buy the supplies for super cheap. Are you ready to do this?!
WHAT IS A SMOOTHIE BOWL & HOW CAN YOU MAKE ONE?
If you're new to smoothie bowls, allow us to introduce you to your new favorite treat. As you might have guessed, a smoothie bowl is pretty much all the makings of smoothie served in, well, a bowl. It's kind of like getting your soft serve ice cream in a cup or bowl instead of a cone! Aside from the obvious, how do you make a smoothie bowl? Here are a few general tips to keep in mind:
- Liquid to Fruit Ratio – Smoothie bowls use a lot less liquid than smoothies do, so when you're adding juice or milk, start slowly! When we use frozen fruit, we usually run the fruit through the blender before adding any liquid, and then we eyeball it. It really comes down to preference, though! If you like a thicker smoothie bowl (we do), use frozen fruit.
- Ice or No Ice? – Whether you need ice will depend on how much fruit you're using and whether you opt for fresh or frozen. If you need to thicken your bowl, a handful of ice can help!
- Use a Deep Bowl – Shallow bowls don't work as well for these smoothies, so grab your deep bowls.
- Freeze Your Bowl – Speaking of bowls, if you toss your bowl in the freezer for a few minutes, it will keep your smoothie bowl from melting so quickly!
Our last tip? Invest in a good blender! When you're blending frozen fruit, those cheap blenders just won't cut it. No pun intended! Some kitchen essentials are worth the splurge.
MIX-INS THAT ARE PERFECT FOR SMOOTHIE BOWLS
Aside from the ordinary smoothie ingredients, what can you use in a smoothie bowl? Just about anything! Here are some ideas:
- Greek yogurt
- Chia seeds
- Coconut shreds
- Fresh fruit
- Fresh herbs (We like mint or basil)
- Nut butter
- Chocolate chips
- Protein powder
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Jam or jelly
You can mix these in your bowl or serve them as a garnish on top. There are literally thousands of combinations, so experiment and have some fun creating your perfect smoothie bowl!
MONEY-SAVING TIPS FOR ASSEMBLING SMOOTHIE BOWLS
If you want to get all the supplies you need to make smoothie bowls, here's our first rule: start with the ingredients you already have at home and then figure out if you need to supplement. Hey, this is a blog about shelf cooking; what else can we say? If you need to buy some fruit or add-ins, here are a few tips for saving money:
- Freeze Your Own Fruit – Frozen fruit is better than fresh in smoothie bowls, but that doesn't mean you have to buy the frozen bags. Slice up your fresh fruit and veggies and make DIY freezer smoothie bags.
- Use Your Pantry Staples for Toppings – If you don't ordinarily keep shredded coconut on hand, don't feel pressured to add it to your smoothie bowl. Experiment with other textures instead! You can make homemade granola in no time, for example.
- Go Easy on the Milk – In general, you don't need a ton of liquid for smoothie bowls, but you can save money by using a splash of water or even watered-down juice instead.
- Don't Be Afraid to Use Leftovers – Instead of chocolate chips, crush some leftover candy bars. Have a handful of fresh herbs you need to use pronto? Toss those on top.
If you follow these tips, you'll spend WAY less than the $15 they charge for those fancy smoothie bowls when you eat out! And that money really adds up, so give yourself a quick pat on the back. Now, let's talk about some of our favorite smoothie bowl recipes!
10 SMOOTHIE BOWL IDEAS IDEAS TO TRY
Remember, there's no wrong way to make a smoothie bowl, so shelf cook it up! But, if you're looking for a few ideas to jumpstart your thinking, we've rounded up ten smoothie bowl recipes for you to try!
GREEN SMOOTHIE BOWL IDEAS
Want to add some greens to your diet? Get your picky eaters to try spinach? These green smoothie bowls are delicious:
- Avocado & Peanut Butter – Look, we know it sounds weird, but it's actually delicious! Blend half of an avocado with two frozen sliced bananas, one cup of frozen strawberries or raspberries, a big handful of spinach, and a cup and a half of milk or almond milk. Blend, then top with a big heaping tablespoon of peanut butter and any other toppings of your choice.
- Green Detox Bowl – Grab a cup of diced, frozen fruit and blend. Then, add 3/4 cup of milk, one cup of spinach, a handful of basil, and a splash of lemon juice and blend until combined. Top with granola, chia seeds, or pistachios, and enjoy!
- Cucumber & Mint Smoothie Bowl – Combine one large frozen banana (sliced) with a 1/4 cup each of diced cucumber and spinach. Add 1/2 cup of pineapple chunks, a handful of mint leaves, a splash of water and orange juice, and two tablespoons of lemon juice. It's a refreshing summer breakfast that won't heat up the kitchen!
Speaking of summer, who's up for a taste of the tropics? We've got tropical smoothie bowl ideas coming right up!
TROPICAL SMOOTHIE BOWLS
We love anything that tastes like a beach! Case in point: our tropical popsicles. Here are a few smoothie bowl recipes that satisfy that same craving:
- Pineapple Mango Smoothie Bowl – This smoothie bowl recipe from Jar of Lemons is perfect for summer!
- Mango, Berry, and Kiwi Smoothie Bowl – All of our favorite fruits in one bowl? Yes, please! Simple Green Smoothies has the recipe you need, and it's just as gorgeous as it is tasty.
- Pina Colada Smoothie Bowl – If you love the flavor combo of pineapple and coconut, this smoothie bowl is for you! All you need is two cups of frozen, diced pineapple, one fresh sliced banana, 1/4 cup of coconut milk or creamer, and a big spoonful of honey. Blend, then top with sliced pineapple, banana, and coconut shreds. Yum!
- Easy Mango Smoothie Bowl – Want something simple? Grab two cups of diced, frozen mango and blend with one frozen and sliced banana. Add two cups of milk–coconut or almond work, too, then blend and drizzle in plenty of honey. Top your bowl with a fresh sliced peach and a handful of blueberries, a few banana slices, and some granola and coconut shreds. So, SO good!
These smoothie bowls are just begging for a staycation, so have some fun! Ready for a few more ideas? Let's keep going!
BERRY SMOOTHIE BOWLS
We pretty much always keep berries on hand! They freeze beautifully, and we like to have fresh berries around for freezer jam or lemon blueberry bread. These smoothie bowl ideas are a great way to use any leftover berries:
- PB&J Smoothie Bowl – We can't even handle the yumminess here! Check out this PB&J smoothie bowl recipe from Skinnytaste.
- Berries and Cream Smoothie Bowl – Blend two cups of frozen blueberries with one frozen banana. Add one cup of milk, one cup of vanilla yogurt, and some honey to taste. Thicken with a handful of ice, if needed. This one is so creamy and dreamy! If you want, you can mix and match the berries or use a mixture.
- Pumpkin Berry Smoothie Bowl – Looking for something perfect for fall? Bring on the pumpkin! This pumpkin and almond butter bowl topped with strawberries tastes like perfection! Grab the recipe from Simply So Good.
We don't know about you, but now we're ready for fall! One mention of pumpkin, and we start to swoon. But, if you want a summer-ready pumpkin treat, give this pumpkin pie milkshake a try!
WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE SMOOTHIE BOWL FLAVOR?
We hope you have as much fun trying these smoothie bowl recipes as we have! Once you get the hang of it, you can mix and match to your heart's content. It's super easy!
Do you have a favorite smoothie bowl flavor or recipe to share? Let us know in the comments!
Want to try more of our favorite fruity recipes?
- This peach cobbler is super easy and crazy delicious.
- Put your canned fruits to use with these pie-filling recipes!
- We never get sick of this easy fruit salad with Cool Whip!
Squeeze the day!
easy and delicious!