If you love smoothies in the morning, but don’t necessarily love to put them together, then I’ve got the thing for you! These frozen smoothie packs will change your world.
There’s nothing quite like a smoothie to start your morning off! I mean, they taste great, they’re healthy, and they’re quick to make! But man, getting out all of the ingredients can really be a hassle and makes it take longer.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Boy, have I got a meal prep hack for you! Start making frozen smoothie packs ahead of time, and stop wasting so much time on your busy mornings. Keep on reading for all of the deets…
There really are no boundaries when it comes to what all you can add to your frozen smoothie packs. For me, a lot of it comes down to what I have on hand. They’re a great way to shelf cook and use up the ingredients that I have that are about to go bad. Got some blueberries that are past their prime? Or maybe some spinach that’s not quite as crisp as you would like it to be? Throw them in a freezer bag and they’ll taste delicious when you make your smoothie.
INGREDIENTS FOR FROZEN SMOOTHIE PACKS
While you can use whatever you want in your smoothie packs, here are some of the basic ingredients to get your smoothie started.
- Fruit – You can use whatever you have on hand, fresh or frozen! Try out different flavor combinations to see what you like best. You can use up any fruit that’s going bad or brown and you won’t be able to tell the difference.
- Veggies – Smoothies are a great way to add in some veggies to your diet without even realizing that they’re in there. Spinach and carrots are great starters. If you’re brave, try an avocado!
- Yogurt – This is optional, but it’s a great additive to your smoothie! Plus, any flavor of yogurt would be delicious.
- Liquid – The smoothie will need a little liquid to keep it from getting too thick. You can add juice, coconut water, or even milk.
- Chia Seeds or Flax Seed – This is optional, but they’re a great way to add some extra nutrients to your smoothie!
- Supplements – We love to add protein powder, vitamin C packets, or other supplemental items to our smoothies to get some extra benefits from our smoothies!
HOW TO MAKE FROZEN SMOOTHIE PACKS
The whole idea of making your frozen smoothie packs ahead of time is to cut down on the amount of prep on busy mornings. I like to make a bunch of smoothie packs at once so that I can just grab and go during the week.
Start by grabbing some freezer bags and whatever ingredients you have on hand. I would suggest slicing up the larger pieces of fruit and veggies so that your blender doesn’t have to work so hard once they’re frozen. Toss them all in the bag and voila! Your freezer smoothie packs are ready to go.
If you’re going to add yogurt, it’s up to you on when you want to add it. If the date is still good, then you can add it to the blender the morning that you’re making it. However, if the yogurt is about to go bad, you can add it to the freezer pack and freeze it with the other ingredients. The same goes for whatever liquid you’re going to be using!
Now that you know how to make freezer smoothie packs, here is a basic recipe for them. The amounts of each ingredient are just a starting point. Feel free to play around with it until you get it to how you like it best!
Freezer Smoothie Packs
- 2 Cups Fruit
- 1 Cup Veggies
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt
- 1-2 Cups Liquid
- Add all ingredients to a freezer bag and freeze until ready to eat.
- Add to blender. May need to add additional ice or liquid until it reaches the correct consistency.
The combinations are really endless. I love trying my hand at different flavors to see which ones I like the best. What’s your favorite smoothie recipe? Let me know in the comments so that I can try it!
Make sure you check out these posts!