If you're wondering what the heck to cook for dinner tonight, we've got an idea you'll love. This 3-ingredient salsa chicken crockpot recipe is here to save the day! It's delicious, and it's EASY. What's not to love?!
You know that bag of frozen chicken breasts you keep neglecting? Pull it out from the back of your freezer; it's time to put it to good use. This recipe practically cooks itself, so take a break, girl. You deserve it! Let the crockpot do the cooking tonight.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Round up just a few ingredients (all of which we bet you have already!), and you'll have a healthy meal on the table in no time. Time for Taco Tuesday made simple! Who's in?!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SALSA CHICKEN
Besides the fact that this sala chicken recipe is as easy as it gets, we love that pairs well with just about anything you have on hand! Go ahead and use what you've got. Here are a few ideas:
- Refried Beans – Ditch the canned stuff and make your own refried beans. Fiesta time!
- Mexican Rice – This is probably our fave side dish to serve with this chicken. Whip up some of our famous Mexican rice. It tastes just like it came from a restaurant!
- Corn – Open a can or broil some corn on the cobb. You pick!
- Quesadillas – Add some cheese and carbs to that meal! The kids will love it.
- Salad – Want to keep things healthy? Serve up this chicken with some fresh mixed greens and a homemade vinaigrette.
- Chips & Salsa – When in doubt, reach for the chips and salsa! (Or queso! Check out this super simple cheese dip.)
You can also saute any veggies you have in the fridge! Just mix them in with the chicken, or make your own fajitas. And speaking of grabbing what's in the fridge, let's talk substitutes and mix-ins. There are tons of ways to make this recipe your own.
SALSA CHICKEN SUBSTITUTES & ADD-INS
Okay, so another thing we love about this chicken? It's fail-proof because you can add and substitute ingredients with ease. For example:
- Chicken Breast Substitute – If you don't have breasts in the freezer, grab some boneless thighs instead!
- Salsa Substitute – Don't have salsa? Taco or enchilada sauce works just as well. You can also use tomato paste, Ro-Tel, or crushed tomatoes in a pinch.
- Taco Seasoning – All out of taco seasoning? Don't panic! Make your own homemade taco seasoning. Spoiler alert: it's EASY with a capital E.
- Add Corn – Sometimes, we like to throw in a can of corn. It adds to the texture and makes it more filling!
- Add Black Beans – If you don't like black beans, pinto beans work, too.
Don't forget the toppings! Sour cream, guacamole, diced tomatoes, grilled onions, and olives are all amazing with this dish! Again, you can use what you have. Are you sensing a theme yet? This recipe is shelf cooking at its finest!
THE SALSA CHICKEN CROCKPOT RECIPE WE LOVE
Okay, shelf cookers, are you ready?! The moment has come. Drumroll, please! Here's the salsa chicken crockpot recipe that's about to become your new go-to. Dump and go, girl. Let's do this!
3-Ingredient Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- 1 lb chicken breasts Frozen or fresh
- 12 oz salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Spray or line your crockpot.
- In a bowl, mix together salsa and taco seasoning.
- Add chicken breasts to the crockpot, then cover with salsa mixture.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, then chunk or shred, serve and enjoy!
HOW TO USE YOUR SALSA CHICKEN LEFTOVERS
If you end up with leftovers, you're in luck! This recipe is begging to be repurposed! Try one of these for an easy peasy weeknight dinner:
- Tacos – One of our favorite ways to use this chicken is in tacos. Hardshell or soft, both ways are so good! Oh hey, Taco Tuesday!
- Fajitas – Stir fry those veggies that are about to go bad, reach for some tortillas, and you've got a filling meal.
- Rice Bowls – Grab your favorite rice and throw that leftover chicken on top. Add in some diced avocado and cheese. Now you've got a rice bowl!
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – Shred that chicken and throw it in some chicken broth. Add the veggies and seasonings of your choice. Boom! You're done.
- Breakfast Burrito – Whip up a batch of our make-ahead freezer breakfast burritos and add some chicken.
- Stuffed Peppers – Fill some peppers with chicken, rice, and cheese. Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes and enjoy.
- Southwest Chicken Mac & Cheese – Have leftover mac and cheese? Mix in some chicken. This one is kid-approved, and adults love it, too!
You can also warm up any leftovers in the microwave and serve them as-is. Just store your leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within three days. Planning to freeze the leftovers? Pop them in a freezer-safe bag, label with a sharpie, let the air out, and store for up to six months.
THIS 3-INGREDIENT SLOW COOKER RECIPE IS SO GOOD
We seriously love this recipe. It's so yummy, and even our picky eaters ask for seconds. Enjoy!
What's your favorite three-ingredient crockpot meal? Drop us a comment below, or join our Facebook Shelf Cooking community for even more ideas!
Try these other easy peasy recipe ideas!
- This quick Italian cream cheese chicken is about as easy as it gets!
- Your family will love this comfort food! Try our favorite meatloaf recipe. It tastes just like the kind grandmas used to make.
- Go ahead and pig out! Learn how to cook pork chops like a pro.
Crock on, friends!