Have you been looking for a cheap, easy dinner idea? Well, stop scrolling because this is it! These easy 3-ingredient crockpot BBQ chicken sandwiches are about as good as it gets!
You guys, it does NOT get any easier than this dinner idea! Grab some chicken from the freezer and get ready to pull together a filling, delicious meal in about 5 minutes. It would take longer than that to place a DoorDash order, so no excuses!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Oh, and the good news just keeps on coming because these crockpot BBQ chicken sandwiches are freezer-friendly! Eat some tonight, and save a batch of that chicken for another time. Slow-cooker meal prep, for the win! Who's ready to do this?
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CROCKPOT BBQ CHICKEN SANDWICHES
We've got about a million and one side dish ideas for this meal, but we don't want to overwhelm you, so we'll share our top five! By the way, if you decide just to open a bag of chips and call dinner done, you're our kind of people. But, if you have a few extra minutes to spare, we think these sides are perfect for BBQ chicken sandwiches:
- Roasted Balsamic Bacon Brussels Sprouts – If you don't try this Brussels sprouts recipe, you. Are. Missing. Out. Don't knock 'em 'til you try them!
- Mason Jar Salads – Mason jars and BBQ just seem like a perfect pair, right? Serve up these mason jar salads at your next cookout and prepare yourself for some “oooohs” and “ahhhs.”
- Fruit Salad – Don't be fooled by the word salad. This dish includes some whipped cream! Sneak some vitamins into your life with this super easy fruit salad.
- Macaroni & Cheese – We'll eat mac ‘n cheese with just about anything, but it's the perfect side for BBQ sandwiches!
- Sweet Potato Casserole – Anytime we get an excuse to make a side dish that includes marshmallows, we'll take it! You HAVE to try this easy sweet potato casserole.
The next time you're feeding a big group, double the recipe and make three or four of those sides. We guarantee you'll wow the crowd! And by the way, fries, tots, baked potatoes, or potato salad would be great with these sandwiches, too.
OTHER FUN WAYS TO USE YOUR BBQ CHICKEN
Let's say you're all out of buns, but you've got some chicken to use ASAP! You can still make this BBQ chicken recipe and serve up a super filling and delicious dinner. Here are a few other ways to serve it:
- Nachos – You know what to do! Gather up your favorite nacho ingredients and get to work! You can even top our famous baked potato nachos with a little pulled chicken.
- Rice Bowl – Cook up a big batch of rice and round up some veggies and cheese. You could even throw a fried egg on top! We've got a whole guide to building rice bowls, so check it out.
- Chicken Wrap – Grab some cheese and lettuce and make a BBQ chicken wrap! We love adding a little corn to ours. Yum!
- Tacos – These salsa chicken tacos are a go-to around here, but BBQ chicken tastes just as good on a tortilla!
- Southwest Omelet – Breakfast for dinner, anyone? Toss that meat and a few veggies in a hearty omelet. For bonus points, serve these easy buttermilk biscuits on the side.
Alright, recipe time! Well, almost. You know we wouldn't share that recipe without showing you how to make it your home. Let's get to shelf cooking, you guys!
QUICK & EASY RECIPE MODIFICATIONS
So, this might be the world's easiest recipe. In fact, calling it a recipe is a bit of stretch, because it comes together with just ingredients. However, since we don't want you running out to the store to make this recipe, here are some simple ways to modify this crockpot BBQ chicken:
- Chicken Substitutes – Use what you've got! Any cut of chicken will work. And if you don't have chicken, try pork instead.
- BBQ Sauce – If you don't keep BBQ sauce in your pantry, you can make a quick batch! Mix 1/2 cup of ketchup with two tablespoons each of brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Add a tablespoon of vinegar and a few pinches of salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Voila! You've got BBQ sauce. Double or triple the recipe as you see fit!
- Bun Substitute – As we said before, you don't have to serve this pulled chicken on a bun! You can serve your meat atop rice, a salad, or even pizza crust. Craving that bread? Use the sliced kind, dinner rolls, pita bread, sub rolls, or hot dog buns. Be creative!
- Add-Ins – We're all about sneaking in veggies when we can, so don't let your fresh produce go to waste! You can serve your sandwiches with slaw or lettuce on top, and you can even try mixing in some diced spinach, peppers, or mushrooms while your chicken cooks. Onions are great, too! Want some heat? Toss a few jalapenos on that sandwich!
Easy peasy, eh? Now that you're probably hungry let's cut to the chase. It's time to make crockpot BBQ pork sandwiches!
LEARN HOW TO MAKE CROCKPOT BBQ CHICKEN SANDWICHES
Okay, who's ready to do this? Give us 5 minutes of your time, and we'll show you how to make the most filling dinner for your family.
3-Ingredient Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 2-3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar BBQ sauce
- salt & pepper, to taste
- hamburger buns, for serving
- Grease your slow cooker with cooking spray or drop in a liner.
- Add your chicken to the crockpot, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover with sauce. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours. We prefer low and slow!
- Shred the chicken with forks or an electric mixer, then serve on buns and enjoy!
If you have leftovers, drop them in a freezer-safe bag, label with a sharpie, and then drop that bag in the freezer. When you're ready to serve those leftovers, just thaw them overnight in the fridge. Be sure to use within three months!
And now you know all there is to know about making crockpot BBQ chicken sandwiches. We predict this will soon become a family fave, and no one will ever guess how stinking easy these are to make. (Your secret's safe with us!)
Do you have a favorite two or three-ingredient crockpot meal? Tell us all about it! Drop a comment below or stop by our Shelf Cooking Facebook group and say hi.
Looking for a few more dinner ideas?
- These sheet pan fajitas are one of our favorite one-dish meals!
- Give this quick and easy cream cheese Italian chicken a try.
- This 30-minute bibimbap is totally Instagram-worthy!
Cue the BBQ sandwiches!