Want to whip up a one-pan dinner that is sure to please a crowd? These sheet pan chicken fajitas fit the bill, and they are so pretty they're Instagram-worthy. Oh, and you only need five ingredients to make them. Score!
Raise your hand if you love washing tons of dishes after you cook. Yeah, that's what we thought. Here's the beautiful thing about these fajitas (besides all the colors): cleanup is minimal.
Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
And we have even more good news, friends. You don't need to make a grocery run to prepare this easy dinner. Gather up a few ingredients from your pantry, freezer, or fridge, and let's do this!
SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITA RECIPE SWAPS
Before we go any further, let’s talk about the secret ingredient – the mother of all ingredients –chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Maybe you are familiar with them. If not, well, you're welcome. They're ah-mazing in burger sauces, salad dressings, chicken wings, braised beef, quesadillas, nachos, and so much more. It is the ONLY thing you need to season your chicken (you know, aside from salt and pepper.)
No worries if you don’t have some this time around; just throw on your favorite fajita seasoning and proceed with the recipe! Here are a few other substitutions you can try:
- Chicken Substitute – Don't limit yourself to chicken! Shrimp, steak, or sausage are just as good. If you decide to use shrimp, just wait and add them in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Peppers Substitute – Not a huge fan of peppers? That's okay! Toss in some mushrooms instead.
- Onion Substitute – Out of fresh onions? Don't sweat it! You can skip them or add in extra peppers instead.
- Flour Tortilla Substitute – If you don't have flour tortillas in the pantry, you can use corn instead! There's nothing wrong with fajita-style tacos. You can also make your own flour tortillas; it's easy!
Don't be afraid to throw in some other veggies, too—roast some broccoli, cauliflower, or tomatoes. And if you like heat, we suggest adding some jalapeños. Now, let's talk toppings!
OUR FAVORITE FAJITA TOPPINGS
One of the best things about eating Mexican dishes is the toppings! Dairy, veggies, sauces…yum! Here are some of our faves:
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Avocado
- Queso Dip
Pro Tip: If you're looking for the easiest, most incredible queso dip to serve on top of these bad boys, you NEED to try this crockpot cheese dip.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FAJITAS
Okay, there's just one last thing to do before we start cooking! Time to prepare some sides. Since these fajitas have veggies in them, they can totally stand on their own, but if you want to make them go further, try serving them with one of these sides:
- Mexican Rice – Our Mexican Rice recipe tastes just like it came from a restaurant. Promise!
- Refried Beans – Just say no to the canned stuff! Try this refried beans recipe just once, and you'll never go back.
- Corn – Off the cob, or on the cob. You decide!
- Salad – Toss some greens with a homemade lime vinaigrette for a fresh, healthy side.
- Chips & Salsa – Open up a bag and a jar, and you're done. Go ahead and press that easy button! We don't blame ya.
Whether you go with greens, rice, or beans, you're just minutes away from a tasty dinner. Ready for that recipe we've been teasing? The wait is over!
HOW TO MAKE SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS
This sheet pan recipe is going to rock your world! Skip the pricey dinner out and serve up some fiesta-worthy fajitas at home. Your fam is gonna love you for cooking these!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 2-4 tbsp chipotle in adobo
- flour tortillas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Lightly grease two baking sheets. Slice up your onion and peppers and arrange them evenly between the two sheets.
- Slice the chicken and mince 2 – 4 tbsp of chipotle in adobo (depending on how spicy you like it.)
- Toss the chicken with the chipotles in a bowl and spread on the baking sheets. Drizzle everything with EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then place them under the broiler for a couple of minutes. This step is optional but really helps caramelize the peppers and add color to the whole dish.
- Warm the tortillas on the stovetop or in the oven for a few minutes, and dinner is served. Enjoy!
Go ahead and add this one to your weekly meal rotation! And in case you're wondering what to do with leftovers, wonder no more. We've got ideas galore! But, first, here are a few quick tips for storing and reheating any leftovers.
STORAGE & REHEATING TIPS
Okay, we're totally jealous that you have leftover fajitas! This beautiful dish seems to vanish within minutes around here. But, if you're lucky enough to have some extra fajitas, here's what to do!
- Store the Filling and Tortillas Separately – Grab one container for the meat and veggies, then pop your tortillas in an airtight bag or container. Shelf cookers beware: storing assembled fajitas can lead to a soggy mess.
- Refrigerator Instructions – Store your meat and veggies in an airtight container and use within 3-4 days. When you're ready to eat, warm them up in the microwave or reheat on the stovetop in a skillet.
- Freezer Instructions – Want to save your fajita fillings for a later date? You can store them in a freezer-safe bag for three months. Label with a Sharpie, and be sure to let out excess air. When you're ready to serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat in the oven per recipe instructions.
Pro Tip: Reheating tortillas? Dampen two paper towels, place up to three tortillas at a time between them, and microwave for around 20-30 seconds. The moist paper towels keep the tortillas from drying out!
LEFTOVER IDEAS: GIVE YOUR SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS NEW LIFE
We get it. Serving up leftovers to the kiddos isn't always easy. And sometimes, it just gets a little boring eating the same dish twice in a row. We've got tips for repurposing leftovers and making them brand new, so give that advice a peek. In the meantime, here are some quick ideas for reusing your fajitas:
- Chicken Philly Sandwich – Pop that meat on a hoagie roll, top with veggies, and add some queso dip to take things up a notch. YUM!
- Rice Bowls – You guys know how much we love rice bowls, right? Well, these sheet pan fajitas are just begging to be made into a rice bowl!
- Creamy Fajita Pasta – Grab your favorite pasta, whip up a quick batch of this Alfredo sauce, toss in your meat and veggies, and enjoy!
- Fajita Salad – Toss some mixed greens, top with your fajita fixings, and savor a guilt-free meal.
- Southwest Soup – Add some chicken broth to those leftovers, bring to a boil, mix in some sour cream, then top with cheese and avocado. Serve with a quesadilla on the side, and you've got a complete meal.
- Tostadas – Warm up some tostada shells in the oven, top with a layer of refried beans, then add your meat and veggie mixture. Add some cheese, guac, or sour cream to the top for extra flavor and texture!
See? There are SO many ways to turn those sheet pan fajitas into a whole new meal. Go ahead and make an extra batch just for the leftovers! We won't blame ya. Now, ready to round out your meal? Let's talk sweets!
BONUS: SERVE ONE OF THESE DISHES FOR DESSERT
No meal is complete without a sweet treat, right?! If you're looking for the perfect dessert to serve with your sheet pan chicken fajitas, we suggest trying one of these:
- Sopapilla Cheesecake – Keep the fiesta theme going with this highly addictive treat. Bet you can't eat just one!
- Ice Cream – If you decide to make your fajitas spicy, end your meal with a cooldown. This creamy, dreamy homemade ice cream is the BEST!
- Hot Cocoa – Rather keep the heat going? We guarantee you'll love Jordan's hot cocoa recipe. It's perfect for the holidays or really any day that ends in a “y.”
- Cookies – Grab a glass of milk and whip up some birthday cake mix cookies. Your family will never guess how dang easy these are to make, and we won't tell!
Phew! We sure are HUNGRY now. Time to make some fajitas, ya'll!
But before we go, we'd love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below and let us know which fajita toppings are your fave.
Looking for other easy recipes to try?
- Try making a batch of these super simple mashed potatoes.
- Busy nights ahead? Check out these 20 easy crockpot dinner ideas!
- This tamale casserole is easy-peasy, and our kids love it.
Bring on the heat!