Whether you're hosting the holidays this year or just really love brunch, this post is for you. Say hello to your new favorite make-ahead breakfast casserole recipe!
‘Tis the season for hosting parties, and if you're not careful, you can blow through your grocery budget in a hurry feeding those crowds! Well, not with this recipe. There's so much to love about this breakfast casserole!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
First of all, this recipe is delicious! Second? You can make it the night before and then pop it in the oven before you're ready to eat. And third? Well, it's a shelf cooking dream! Spare yourself another trip to the store because we're going to teach you how to make this versatile dish using only ingredients you already have. Here we go!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS MAKE-AHEAD BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
The beauty of casserole like this one is that you don't have to serve anything with it if you don't want to. It's hearty! However, if you want to stretch this meal or you're serving it as part of a holiday feast, these sides are a perfect option:
- Fresh fruit
- Side salad
- Biscuits (Try our 3-ingredient recipe!)
- Cinnamon rolls (We make ours in a bread machine, but you could use canned.)
- Muffins (Pull some blueberry muffins out of the freezer!)
- Overnight oats
- Banana bread (You've gotta try grandma's banana bread recipe!)
- Diced potatoes/hashbrowns
You can always set up a self-serve breakfast bar with fresh fruit, bread, or cereals that are ready to grab. Just keep it simple!
HOW TO MODIFY THE RECIPE
Wondering how to modify this recipe? There are SO many options. Here are some of our favorite ways to customize this make-ahead breakfast casserole so we don't have to run to the store:
- Vegetables – Here's your chance to use up those veggies! We usually use diced red and green peppers with some onions and mushrooms, but we had broccoli on hand this time, so we subbed out the green peppers. Asparagus is a yummy option, too.
- Meat – Skip the meat or use a combo of whatever leftovers you have! Sausage, ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, ham, or bacon would all work.
- Cheese – Anything goes here! If you can shred it, you can use it!
- Bread – Loaf bread, rustic bread, English muffins? Whatever you have works!
The bottom line? It's nearly impossible to mess this one up! As long as you use the right egg to meat and cheese ratio, you'll be golden. Mix and match with your ingredients and have some fun.
LET'S TALK TOPPINGS
Okay, on to another fun topic: toppings! If you want to add a garnish or two, we suggest these:
- Salsa (We've got an easy homemade salsa blender recipe!)
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Diced green onions
- Black olives
- More cheese
When in doubt, always reach for more cheese!
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVERS
If you end up with leftovers, then lucky you! Good news: they taste just as good the second day! Here's what you need to know:
- Refrigerator Instructions – These leftovers will keep for three to four days in the fridge. Just store in an airtight container and warm up individual servings in the microwave for the best results.
- Freezer Instructions – You can freeze this uncooked for up to three months! Just double wrap it in plastic and foil, and don't forget to label. Need to freeze an already cooked casserole? Allow it to cool, double-wrap, or store in an airtight container and store for up to two months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and bake per the recipe instructions.
Some people even like to eat these leftovers cold, so if you're a fan of leftover cold pizza, it might be worth a try!
OUR FAVORITE MAKE-AHEAD BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPE
Drumroll, please! It's time to say hello to your new favorite make-ahead breakfast casserole. This one is perfect for the holidays but easy enough for any occasion. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- 10 eggs
- 1 lb cooked meat (we used breakfast sausage)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 cups chopped veggies
- 4 slices bread
- ½ cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown and drain meat, set aside. Then dice and sautee veggies in the same pan. Set aside.
- Break your bread into small pieces and place in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and cheese.
- Pour half the mixture into your baking dish, then top with half the meat. Repeat with another layer of egg mixture, followed by another layer of meat.
- Cover your dish and refrigerate for two hours or overnight.
- Bake for around 50 minutes at 375°F, then cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve and enjoy!
If you serve this up for the family this Christmas, you might start a new tradition! Either way, we hope you love it!
What's your favorite breakfast dish? If you have a family recipe to share, we'd love to try it, so leave a comment below.
Want to try a few more of our favorite breakfast recipes?
- You'll love this egg nog French toast!
- Try our quick and easy make-ahead pancake mix!
- Prepare to become obsessed with this sweet potato hash if you try it.
Have an egg-cellent day!