Want to whip up a homemade treat that's freezer-friendly? These homemade blueberry muffins are the best! Get grandma's secret recipe, plus tips to make these muffins your own.
You don't need to go to a bakery to pick up delicious muffins! All you need are a few kitchen staples and some blueberries. Bonus: this recipe is freezer-friendly and is the perfect make-ahead breakfast! Today we're sharing grandma's recipe, and it's easy.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
These muffins are pure perfection. Super moist, with so much flavor, you'll want to make them again and again. So, round up your berries, put on your apron, and let's get started!
HOW TO MODIFY GRANDMA'S RECIPE
If you're missing an ingredient or two, don't panic. Here are a few simple swaps you can make to bring this recipe to life:
- Egg Substitute – All out of eggs? Not to worry! Here are ten egg substitutes to try.
- Vegetable Oil Substitute – If you don't have vegetable oil or you'd prefer to skip it, try coconut oil instead.
- Blueberry Substitute – You can use another fruit if you'd like! Try blackberries, raspberries, diced strawberries, or peaches. You can use a mixture, too.
- Baking Soda Substitute – Need a baking soda substitute? We've got you covered with four ideas.
- Baking Powder Substitute – We have plenty of baking powder substitutes, too.
- Vanilla Extract Substitute – Did you know you can make your own vanilla extract?
- Sour Cream Substitute – If you're out of sour cream, you can use plain Greek yogurt instead.
Now that you have everything you need to get started, what do you say we get a little creative? Let's talk about muffin mix-ins you can try!
MIX UP THIS MUFFIN RECIPE WITH A FEW ADD-INS
Want to make these muffins your own? There are so many ways to mix things up! Here are a few add-ins you can try:
- Coconut shreds
- Lemon juice
- Crushed nuts
- White chocolate chips
- Vanilla frosting
- Fruit zest (lemon, lime, orange)
We like to slice our muffins in half and spread a little jam or butter on top. PSA: if you haven't tried our strawberry freezer jam, you should check it out!
HOW TO FREEZE HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
One of the best things about this recipe is that it's freezer-friendly. So, we like to set aside a dozen to freeze every time we whip up a batch! Here's what you need to know about freezing and thawing homemade blueberry muffins:
- How to Freeze – Allow your muffins to cool completely, then wrap them individually in plastic and place them in a labeled freezer-safe bag. Be sure to let all the air out! Use within three months for the best flavor.
- How to Thaw – When you're ready to eat your muffins, place them in the refrigerator to thaw for 12-24 hours or nuke in the microwave to defrost.
That's it! Easy peasy. If you don't want to eat the whole batch at once, just remove a few at a time. That's the beauty of wrapping each muffin individually.
GRANDMA'S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS RECIPE
These moist muffins are the perfect blend of tart and sweet! Perfect with a little butter on top, you can serve these muffins at breakfast or as dessert! We love to make them in the summer and freeze a few for later.
Homemade Blueberry Muffins
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, then gradually add sugar. While beating, slowly pour in sugar, then add the vanilla extract.
- In a second bowl, combine dry ingredients, then add to the egg mixture. Next, add the sour cream.
- Mix thoroughly, then gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into greased or lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes, cool before serving, and enjoy!
We can smell these muffins baking already, and we can't wait to take a bite!
If you've got blueberries galore, give this yummy recipe a try! Why use a box mix when you can whip up a quick batch with fresh berries and pantry staples?!
What's your favorite muffin flavor? Drop a comment below and let us know!
Want to do a little more baking?
- This lemon blueberry bread is a perfect summer treat!
- Learn how to make homemade fudgy brownies. Our recipe is easy!
- Warning: once you make these no-bake cheesecake bites, you will crave them all the time!
Thanks berry much for reading!