If you're looking for ways to save money at home, start in your kitchen! We have the info on appliances that will help you pinch pennies and stretch those dollars without going overboard!
We're not the betting type, but if we were, we would bet that you are feeling the squeeze of inflation this year along with millions of others. Sadly, there's not much we can do to fix the supply chain or the economic woes of this generation, but we CAN help you find creative ways to get more bang for your buck!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Believe it or not, sometimes investing in some appliances that allow you to do more at home can actually save you money in the long run! Read on for a list of kitchen appliances that will help you find a little more wiggle room in your budget. And, if you already have some of these gadgets, we'll give you even more ideas on how to use them to your advantage!
Appliances That Make It Easier To Eat At Home
How many times a week do you try to have the “we have food at home” talk with yourself, only to fail and pick up expensive take-out again? It's ok, we won't tell!
We live in a world where eating out is so dang convenient that it's hard to resist, even when it hurts our bank account! That's why it's so important to find ways to make cooking at home easier so that you'll be more likely to do it consistently. It might take some getting used to, but we are here to help!
We have found that there are two appliances that can work actual magic when it comes to easy food prep!
Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
Oh, Instant Pot, how do we love thee? Let us count the ways!
- Pressure cookers can quickly cook even frozen meat! Is there anything more aggravating than getting home after a busy day and discovering you forgot to thaw the meat for dinner? Instead of running to the drive-thru when this happens, you can still make a quick and delicious dinner in no time. Check out our Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo, or this post that has more than 15 Instant Pot recipes!
- Make yogurt from scratch! Yes, you read that right. You can skip the expensive mark-ups of prepackaged yogurt at the grocery store and make your own in the Instant Pot. It's easier than you think! We like this recipe from The Kitchn. Check out these containers for easy portion sizes, too.
- Use it to make rice! True, rice isn't all that expensive, but instant rice does cost more than the bagged rice that is not precooked. Rice has a long shelf life and is one of those items that is perfect for buying in bulk. An Instant Pot can make perfect rice in a flash without requiring the pricier version.
A slow cooker is one of the BEST ways to save money at home! This trusty friend will provide you with so many benefits:
- Meals ready to go when you get home! Pop a meal in your crock pot before you leave for work and come home to done-for-you deliciousness! Check out our 20 Slow Cooker Recipes For A Busy Weeknight and you won't even be tempted to stop for take-out!
- Meal prep made easy! Put meat in to cook (i.e. chicken breasts or thighs) while you go about your day. Then when it’s done, prep meats and freeze for quick meals later!
- Low energy costs. Cook a meal all day without heating up the house OR spending a ton on energy!
- Buy lower cost cuts of meat. You don’t have to pay for the pricey cuts of meat with a slow cooker. The low and slow cook method helps create perfectly tender meat without the high price.
Make Your Drinks At Home, Too!
We know that for a lot of people, the daily coffee or soda run is an iron-clad ritual, and we don't want to take that away from you! But consider making your drinks at home, too? Not only will you be saving on the pricey mark-ups when buying drinks from a fancy drive-thru, you'll also be saving on the gas money you're burning while driving there each day.
Here are a few awesome kitchen additions we suggest:
- Coffee or espresso machine – of course! If you love your morning brew, invest in your own machine and you'll be able to recoup that money in no time with what you save by skipping the fancy coffee shop.
- Frother – this handy little gadget can do so much! Use it for frothing milk, mixing hot chocolate or lemonade…whatever your drink of choice is! Super inexpensive and something you'll use over and over!
- SodaStream – if you're a lover of fancy mixed sodas, this is the investment for you! Paying $5+ for a drink adds up fast! Save a few bucks by doing it yourself at home.
- Syrups – Okay, okay, we know this isn’t an appliance, but make your own fancy drinks (coffee, soda, tea) at home with these! Grab a few of your favs and you’ll be set! We like Monin and Torani brands the best!
More Money Saving Appliances
Thought we'd covered everything? We've still got more money-saving tricks up our sleeves! To continue to be more proficient in the kitchen, here are some additional appliances we love:
Quality blenders will help you make smooth soups, smoothies, blended drinks, and sauces. This was definitely one of those items that we didn't realize we were missing until we had one! Again, anything that makes food prep easier makes you more likely to cook at home…which means more savings!
While we'll admit we don't always think a food processor is necessary, it can be a huge time saver!
Also, did you know that pre-cut and pre-shredded foods are priced higher because of the convenience factor? Chopping your own veggies, shredding your own cheese, etc., can definitely help you cut down on grocery expenses. A good food processor makes it so fast and easy, you won't miss the “convenience” of the packaged items at all! Plus, you’ll always know there are no sneaky added chemicals in your food when you prep it yourself.
Even making your own condiments, such as hummus and mayo, can put dollars back in your wallet. There's so many ways to use a food processor to cut down on pre-prepared items from your grocery store!
Did you know that the biggest money waste in your house is probably on FOOD?! A food vacuum sealer will help you cut those losses in so many ways! Vacuum sealing your leftovers or pre-prepped food will give them a much longer freezer or shelf life than just using bags or containers.
Plus, vacuum sealed food is much more resistant to freezer burn! Stock up on expensive items like meat and cheese when they go on sale, and then feel confident that they'll still be good when you go to use them later. Nothing is worse than having to toss food that has gone bad from freezer burn!
We know it can feel hard to spend money on new items for your home, but sometimes the right tool can truly be an investment that will help you save money for years to come!
Do you have any of these appliances and favorite ways to use them? Let us know in the comments!
Need more kitchen hacks and ideas? We've got you covered!
- Check out our Shelf Cooking Subscription Plan for stress-free meal-planning! We even help you use your ingredients and leftovers in the smartest way possible to reduce food waste!
- Tired of the same old pantry staples? We've got tips on ways to doctor them up to make them tastier and interesting in new ways!
- We'll teach you how to shop case lot sales to get the most bang for your buck and save money on that grocery budget!
Thanks for stopping by!