This Cake Batter Blondies recipe is so good you won't believe it's so easy to make! With just a few staple ingredients you'll be able to whip up a scrumptious dessert in no time.
Everyone knows and loves the traditional brownie for dessert. But did you know the brownie has a fraternal twin called a blondie? It's true! And if you haven't tried one, you're missing out. A blondie is basically a dessert bar that is very similar to a brownie, but uses vanilla flavoring instead of cocoa. Believe it or not, some people aren't big fans of chocolate! If you fall into this camp, then this dessert might be exactly what you've been looking for.
(And even if you do love chocolate, there's a good chance you'll still find these blondies to be super tasty!)
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Lucky for you, this amazingly simple and delicious Cake Batter Blondie recipe will knock your socks off! We'll give you some ideas of ways to mix it up in addition to the traditional recipe. You're sure to be the star of the next potluck dinner when you show up with a plate of these beauties.
Cake Batter Blondie Variations
Much like brownies, blondies can also be made a variety of different ways. One of the amazing things about this recipe is that is made using cake mix! Genius, right? A perfect way to use what you have in your pantry while also making things super simple.
Our Cake Batter Blondie recipe calls for yellow or white cake mix, sprinkles, and white chocolate chips. We feel pretty confident that you'll find this to be a delicious combo. But as always, we want you to make this your own! Here are some other ideas to try when making blondies:
- Cover with frosting – Feel free to slather your favorite buttercream frosting on top! Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry…whatever you like best would be an amazing addition. ProTip – Use one of these icing spreaders to make this process easier!
- Switch up the chips – Our original recipe calls for white chocolate chips, but don't be shy with trying other ones, too! Semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or cinnamon chips would all be yummy!
- Add fruit – Adding in raspberries, strawberries, or even apples can really take this dessert over the top! Chop the pieces small and add to the batter for a tangy pop of flavor.
- Incorporate nut butter – We might have a slight obsession with peanut butter, so adding 1/2 a cup to the batter really makes this dessert decadent in our opinion. You could also use almond or cashew butter if you prefer or need to accommodate allergies.
- Make a sundae – If you really want to be in heaven, serve your blondie warm (prepared any of the ways mentioned above) with a scoop of ice cream and drizzled with hot fudge or caramel. Now we're talking! (Extra points if you make our homemade ice cream, too!) We might be drooling right now…
How To Store and Freeze Cake Batter Blondies
We would be willing to bet that you will rarely have a situation where you need to store these blondies for any length of time. But in the event that you do have leftovers, you can place them in an airtight container with a lid for up to a week.
A great idea would be to double this recipe and freeze the extras! That way you always have a treat on hand for a last minute dinner invitation, a welcome treat for a new neighbor, or when that late night craving hits.
The best method for freezing blondies is to cut them into squares and wrap individually in plastic wrap, then place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer the individually wrapped blondies to a resealable freezer bag, then label and date. You can easily pull out a bunch to thaw or just one at a time. After thawed, simply pop them in the oven for a few minutes until warm.
How To Make Cake Batter Blondies
Now that we've gotten the attention of your sweet tooth, let's make these Cake Batter Blondies, shall we?
Cake Batter Blondies
- 1 18.5 oz box yellow or white cake mix
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sprinkles plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 pan and set it aside.
- Combine cake mix, oil, egg, and milk in a large bowl. Stir until combined. The batter should be thick.
- Stir in the sprinkles and white chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Pour into prepared pan and place a few more sprinkles on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until edges are just turning brown. (The blondies will still be gooey in the middle, but after they've completely cooled they will be soft and chewy.)
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes so the center sets before cutting into squares.
We won't tell anyone if you decide to skip dinner tonight and go straight to dessert!
We hope you will try this tasty treat and share with your friends. We'd love to hear about how you chose to customize it in the comments!
If you're in the mood to try more delicious recipes, here's a few suggestions:
- Check out Recipes You Can Make Using Pie Filling – Other Than Pie if you're looking for more easy dessert ideas!
- Struggling with what to feed your little one? We've got 2 Weeks' Worth of Easy Toddler Meal Ideas.
- This Freezer Egg Breakfast Sandwich will help simplify your mornings and get your day off to a good start!
Do blondes really have more fun? You'll have to try it to find out!