Not sure what to do with that tub of ricotta just sitting in the back corner of your fridge? These 20 clever recipes using ricotta cheese will help you use that creamy dreaminess up in a super delicious way!
We all know lasagna is the go-to ricotta recipe, right? While we love a delish lasagna recipe (and we'll share one with you later!), your tub of ricotta has so much more taste bud potential. You won't believe some of the different ways we use this delectable ingredient!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
We've compiled a list of our favorite recipes using ricotta cheese from breakfast all the way to dessert. Yep, that's right. We even have an incredible ricotta cake to share with you. Keep reading for all the yummy deets!
HOW TO FREEZE RICOTTA CHEESE
Before we get to the yummy recipes, let's clear up a question you may be asking yourself. Can I freeze ricotta cheese and use it after? The answer… *Drumroll please!* YES!
Ricotta cheese freezes wonderfully and thaws like a dream! Stick your frozen ricotta in the fridge 24-48 hours before you need it so it has plenty of time to thaw. While your ricotta cheese may have a slightly different texture after it thaws, it typically maintains its structure very well and can be used in any recipe.
Pro Tip: If you find the ricotta isn't the texture you love after thawing, use it in a cooked dish. You'll never know the difference!
RICOTTA FOR BREAKFAST
If you've never eaten ricotta for breakfast, you are seriously missing out. Uh-huh, that's right! Check out all the ways ricotta can make your breakfast top-notch!
- Ricotta Pancakes – Add a cup to your pancake mix to give them an extra fluff factor. You won't be disappointed! Toss in some lemon zest and blueberries for a drool-worthy twist.
- Scrambled Eggs – Add a tablespoon into your scrambled egg mix for additional creaminess and fluff. Yum!
- Ricotta Toast – The options are endless here! Slap some ricotta on your toast and top with fresh fruit, jam, honey, or even avocado. Seriously—try them all!
- Egg and Cheese Sandwiches – Spread some ricotta on your egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches for a yummy treat.
- Raspberry Ricotta Breakfast Cake – This mouth-watering raspberry breakfast cake from Saving Room for Dessert will have you feeling the B&B vibes in your own kitchen.
See, we told you these were incredible. Oh, the endless tasty possibilities!
DINNER RECIPES USING RICOTTA CHEESE
These dinner recipes are the perfect way to use up that ricotta cheese and have dinner on the table in no time.
- Easy Pasta Bake – Sub in ricotta instead of cottage cheese in this easy pasta bake for a dinner the whole family will love.
- Meatballs – Make our amazing meatball recipe even dreamier by tossing some ricotta in the mix!
- Stuffed Flounder – You won't believe how easy this dish is! First combine and mix ricotta, spinach, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Next place a generous dollop on each flounder fillet and roll! Drizzle with oil and seasonings, then bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes. Mmm hmmm.
- Ricotta Grilled Cheese – This next-level grilled cheese is definitely not just for the kids! Pair it with a delicious soup for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Easy 5-Minute Alfredo – This super duper easy Alfredo sauce is way better than the store-bought version. Toss it on some pasta for an easy weeknight dinner.
- Lasagna – We couldn't have a post on ricotta and not include this classic favorite, right? Take your lasagna to the next level and make lasagna roll-ups instead!
Trust us, with these ricotta recipes, the whole family will be reaching for seconds!
APPETIZERS WITH RICOTTA
Wow your family or house guests with these tasty appetizers. Perfect for a family game night! These appetizer recipes using ricotta cheese are cheap, easy, and ah-ma-zing.
- Jalapeño Poppers – Mix ricotta cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and any other seasoning you like. Fill each seeded jalapeño half and bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes.
- Ricotta Balls – These ricotta cheese balls from Carve Your Craving use only five ingredients!
- Make a Dip – Whip the ricotta with some garlic, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and dip away! Perfect for crackers or fresh veggies.
- Ricotta Spinach Tarts – These ricotta spinach tarts from An Italian In My Kitchen look gourmet, but are so easy to make!
- Creamy Pizza – Use it as a base “sauce” for your homemade pizza or flatbread. Slice it up as an appetizer or enjoy it as the main course!
Hungry yet? We sure are! But wait… don't run off to make one of these yum dishes just yet. Keep on scrolling for ricotta cheese dessert recipes you do not want to miss!
DESSERT RECIPES USING RICOTTA
Who knew ricotta cheese could make such decadent desserts? You will not be disappointed by these rich and creamy sweet treats!
- Fruit Salad – Try our favorite fruit salad recipe with ricotta instead of cottage cheese!
- Cannoli Dip – Mmm. This sweet cannoli dip from If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen may just become your go-to easy dessert!
- Berry Ricotta Dessert – This berry ricotta dessert from Wholesome Yum is a scrumptious way to use up that tub of ricotta and those wilting berries!
- Baked Pears with Ricotta – Slice and core your pears, drizzle with honey and bake until they begin to caramelize on the edges! Pop a dollop of ricotta cheese in the middle and sprinkle on some toasted nuts for a crunch.
See, we told you this kitchen staple had some unbelievable potential. Now grab that forgotten tub of ricotta cheese and put that sucker to good use. Affordable, versatile, and long-lasting, ricotta cheese will be a staple item in your kitchen from now on!
What's your favorite way to use ricotta cheese? Share your awesome ideas and recipes in the comments below!
Looking for more yummy recipes and kitchen hacks? Check out these posts, too!
- This 3 ingredient Snickers salad is soooo good. You need to try it!
- Ready for grilling season? Check out these 10 grilling hacks to make your summer BBQ easier!
- Looking for an easy yet satisfying dinner idea? Grandma's classic meatloaf recipe checks all the boxes!
Cheese ya later! 😉