You can buy fancy bagels from coffee shops that will charge you $6 or more for a single bagel… or you can make them at home for pennies. Try out this smoked salmon bagel recipe and never get one at an expensive shop again!
There’s something so good about a savory bagel. Don’t get us wrong, sweet bagels are the bomb! But they’re really more of a dessert than anything. A good, savory bagel has some protein and veggies on it. They make for a hearty meal, rather than a sweet snack.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
And boy, are they so. stinkin’. good. You really can’t go wrong with a smoked salmon bagel, especially using this recipe! Even if you’re not a big fish lover, you still need to try it out! The other ingredients help to cut down on that sometimes overpowering fishy flavor and make it taste juuuuuuust right. Go on, give it a try!
DIFFERENT BAGEL VARIATIONS
The basic recipe that we’ll get to in a minute is literally the best thing that you’ll ever eat. Just 5 ingredients and a few minutes and you’ll have a delicious smoked salmon bagel that will have you drooling. But if you run out of some of the ingredients or want to try something else, then we’ve got you covered!
Here are some of the different options that you could put on your smoked salmon bagel:
- Cheese – Cream Cheese is classic. But mozzarella, swiss, even sliced cheddar or a little parmesan works!
- Greens – Arugula/Spinach Mix is our go-to!
- Protein of Choice – Obviously, smoked salmon is highly recommended! But any deli meat would be tasty, or shredded chicken, or even fried egg. You can’t go wrong here.
- Other Veggie Toppings – Onion, avocado, tomato, cucumber, the sky is the limit!
- Seasonings – Salt, pepper, basil or any herb mix that you love. A little flavor goes a long way!
- Balsamic Glaze – Make this easy glaze yourself or buy it from a variety of stores.
Sounds delish, right? We told you that savory is the way to go. 😉 You can use any type of bagels that you have. As long as it’ll fit into your budget, buy them fresh from the bakery, slice them, then freeze in a freezer bag until you’re ready to use. This will allow you to pull them out one at a time as they’re needed.
THE BEST SMOKED SALMON BAGEL RECIPE
Alright, alright, enough talking already! Let’s get to your new favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack!
Smoked Salmon Bagel Recipe
- Cream Cheese
- Smoked Salmon
- Arugula/Spinach Mix
- Balsamic Glaze
- Toast the bagel.
- Add cream cheese to your liking.
- Top with salmon, arugula and spinach mix.
- Microwave for 20 seconds to wilt the greens just a touch. (Totally optional!)
- Top with a good drizzle of glaze.
Are you seeing why this is our absolute favorite? The glaze and the greens help cut the fishy taste, so even if you’re not a fish lover, you still need to try this smoked salmon bagel recipe out!
Give it a try and let us know how you like it in the comments! What’s your favorite variation of this? Let us know so that we can try it out as well!
Looking for more savory breakfast ideas?