You haven't lived until you've tried this pizza monkey bread! This recipe will change your life. Make it for your game day party or on any day ending in “y.” Fire up the printer or press that bookmark button because this one is a crowd-pleaser!
It's a pizza; it's bread, it's…pizza monkey bread?! Yup! That's a thing. Wondering what the heck it is? Well, you're going to want to keep reading. Trust us. If you love pizza, then you NEED to keep on reading. We're about to introduce you to your new favorite crowd-pleasing recipe!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
If you love pizza, then you NEED to try this crazy good pull-apart monkey bread recipe. It makes a great dinner, appetizer, snack, leftovers, you name it! Just when you thought pizza couldn't get any better, it did! Grab your bundt pan and let's get cooking!
WHY WE LOVE THIS MONKEY BREAD RECIPE
This pull-apart recipe is so fun and delicious! It's also really easy to make any day of the week. Even better, kids love it as much as adults — even the picky eaters! Make it for yourself and see!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH PIZZA MONKEY BREAD
Wondering what to serve alongside this magical, tasty, and Insta-worthy pizza dish? Well, you've tons of options! Serve this up as dinner (welcome to a judgment-free zone) or as an appetizer with one of our other favorite party snacks. Here are a few quick ideas:
- Salad – Eating salad with pizza cancels out all the calories, right? That's our story, and we're sticking to it! Make your own salad dressing for a “wow” factor.
- Soup – Keep the Italian theme going, and try a minestrone or wedding soup! It's way easier than you think to build your own soup using ingredients in your pantry.
- Finger Foods – Serve up a smorgasbord of snacks or host your own tapas night. We have 21+ party appetizer ideas to try.
- Steamed/Roasted Veggies – Add some greens to your meal with broccoli, green beans, or asparagus on the side!
- Buffalo Cauliflower – Pizza and wings are a perfect pair! Have you tried our buffalo cauliflower “wings?” They're amazing! Enjoy the buffalo flavor without all the calories.
Want to serve a super impressive dessert with your pizza monkey bread? We vote for this slow cooker apple crisp! Let it cook while you prep dinner.
TRY ADDING THESE INGREDIENTS TO YOUR PIZZA MONKEY BREAD
If you're a supreme pizza fan, don't be afraid to dress us this pull-apart monkey bread! You can customize it to your heart's content. Looking for inspiration? These ingredients make the perfect addition:
- Spinach – Sneak those veggies in where you can, right? Chop and sauté a little spinach in a skillet. Your kids won't even notice!
- Red Pepper Flakes – Bring on the heat! If you like spice, add some crushed red pepper. It tastes incredible with the other seasonings.
- Olives – Green? Black? Both? You decide! Whatever you do, don't toss that olive juice when you're done.
- Mushrooms – Even if your kids or hubby don't like mushrooms, we bet they won't know the difference! Disguise them in the cheese and pepperoni.
- Fresh Garlic – We'll never turn down the chance to use fresh garlic, and pizza bread feels like the perfect opportunity!
Mix and match and have some fun! The next time we make pizza monkey bread, we're going to try adding chicken and jalapeños. Why not, right?
PIZZA MONKEY BREAD RECIPE SUBSTITUTIONS
If there's one thing we love about shelf cooking (besides saving serious dough), it's that you can almost always make any recipe using what you already have. So, if you're missing an ingredient or two, don't jump in the car. Here are some super simple swaps to try:
- Pepperoni Substitute – Skip the meat altogether or use what you've got! Have leftover shredded chicken? Awesome. Throw it in! Ground beef? Go for it! Ham? Yup! You get the idea!
- Flaky Biscuit Substitute – It's fine to mix up the dough! Use pizza dough or rolls.
- Marinara Sauce Substitute – All out of marinara? That's okay! Grab this recipe for homemade pizza sauce. It's quick and easy! You could also go a different route and make yours with Alfredo sauce. Try our 5-minute foolproof recipe!
- Mozzarella Cheese Substitute – Don't be afraid to experiment with different cheeses. Parmesan, provolone, cheddar? Just use what you have!
- Italian Seasoning Mix Substitute – If you don't have the pre-mixed seasoning on hand, make your own! Just combine some oregano, rosemary, basil, thyme, garlic, and any other spices you have in the rack. Try a mix of your favorite fresh herbs if you have them!
This dish is just begging for a party! Have a pizza lover in the fam? Make it for their next birthday dinner! Hosting a watch party for the big game? This pizza monkey bread is a must! By the way, you can also find dozens of other ideas for game day food here.
TIPS FOR REHEATING/FREEZING LEFTOVERS
Wait, leftover pizza monkey bread is a thing?! Ours doesn't usually stick around for long, but here's what you can do with any extras:
- How to Reheat Pizza Monkey Bread – You can microwave any leftovers if you need a quick fix, but we suggest placing them in the oven and baking for about 20 minutes at 300°F.
- How to Freeze Pizza Monkey Bread – Good news! If you want to make ahead a batch or make one for now and one for later, pizza monkey bread freezes with ease. Just allow your bread to cool, then wrap it in plastic, followed by a double layer of foil–label and use within 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then bake in the oven.
Oh, and one last thing! Go ahead and print a few extra copies of this recipe. The first time you serve it at a party, all your neighbors will want the recipe. You've been warned!
LEARN HOW TO MAKE THIS CROWD-PLEASER
Crispy on the outside, studded with pepperoni, and melty cheese on the inside, there isn’t a dish that will please a crowd much more than this one will! We're so excited to spill the deets!
Pizza Monkey Bread
- 2 cans flaky biscuits
- 64 slices pepperoni
- 1½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ jar marinara sauce
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 packet Italian seasoning dressing mix
- Place your oven rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat to 350°F. Lightly brush a 12 cup bundt pan with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO).
- Mix your 1/3 cup EVOO and Italian seasoning packet in a bowl and set aside.
- Slice or pull your biscuits apart through the middle. Place ½ tsp of marinara, a sprinkle of cheese, and 2 pepperoni slices. Pinch sides together and roll into a smooth ball. Place in the bundt pan seam side up.
- Once you are halfway through, brush biscuits with half of the seasoning mixture and top with half of the remaining mozzarella. Prepare the remaining pizza balls and top with all but 2 tbsp of the remaining seasoning mixture and the rest of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Brush the last 2 tbsps of seasoning on top. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Slice or pull apart, serve, and enjoy!
We hope you love this pizza monkey bread recipe as much as we do! Now you know how we cut carbs. 😉 All jokes aside, it really is one of the most versatile appetizers you can make, and it's fun for all ages. Get the older kids to help you whip this up and make some fun memories!
While we're on the topic of pizza, we want to know: what's your favorite pizza topping? Drop a comment below! And be sure to join our Shelf Cooking Facebook group to keep the conversation going. Let's keep in touch!
Looking for a few more fun recipes to try?
- This homemade french bread pizza is easy as can be!
- Throw your own fiesta with this crockpot salsa chicken.
- Lasagna roll-ups are a dream! Try them 5 different ways.
Slice, slice, baby!