This Greek lemon chicken soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter night! Light and refreshing, yet downright cozy and delicious, this soup checks all the boxes. Plus, it's ridiculously easy and cheap to make!
Are you ready for a Greek lemon chicken soup recipe that will blow your mind?! The tangy citrus flavor paired with the silky smooth broth and chicken is literally mouth-watering! Ehem, excuse us while we wipe the drool from our mouths…
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Seriously though, this soup is so easy on the tastebuds and equally easy on the wallet! With only a handful of ingredients and so many ways to prep ahead to save time, this is the perfect weeknight shelf cooking recipe. Okay, enough with the chit-chat, let's get to it, shall we?
HOW TO SAVE MORE TIME WITH THIS GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP
Sure, you can make this yummo-licious soup from scratch. Or you can save yourself a ton of time and effort by using things you have tucked away in that well-stocked freezer of yours. Here are two great ways to make this Greek lemon chicken soup even easier to whip together!
- Pre-Cooked Chicken – Grab that shredded chicken that's waiting for you in your freezer or cook it up ahead of time with our easy Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe!
- Cooked Rice – Take some time to meal prep the weekend before so your rice is ready to use when you need it! Try our delicious and easy oven-baked rice recipe!
- Bottled Lemon Juice – While we think fresh lemons taste a little better in this particular recipe, bottled lemon is definitely the way to go if you're in a crunch for time!
We see you shelf cooking queen!
EASY SUBSTITUTIONS FOR GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP
If you know anything about shelf cooking, then you know good substitution options are a must! Don't have everything this recipe calls for? No problem! We'll show you some easy swaps to help you use what you have so you don't have to run out to the store!
- White Rice – This recipe will work with any kind of rice, including brown. In fact, you can even make it with couscous, orzo, or quinoa!
- Chicken Broth – While the recipe calls for chicken broth because, well… it is chicken soup after all, you can use any broth you have on hand. Try vegetable broth, turkey broth, or even beef broth. Sure, the taste will be changed with each substitution, but results will still be tasty!
- Lemon Juice – Lemons are definitely the way to go if you have them, but if you don't, bottled lemon juice will work just fine!
See, that was easy, huh? You got this!
OPTIONAL SOUP ADD-INS
This basic Greek lemon chicken soup is so good as-is, but go ahead and toss in some of these add-ins if you're feelin' wild! 😉
- Homemade Bread – Okay, technically not an add-in, but still a must! Make some of our easy homemade rustic bread so you'll have something to dip into your delicious soup!
- Mixed Veggies – If you're looking to add more color and veggies to your soup, toss in a bag of mixed frozen vegetables!
- Kale – We love to add roughly chopped kale to our Greek lemon chicken soup. It wilts down perfectly and the flavors go so well with the soup! Add it at the end so it doesn't overcook.
- Onion and Garlic – Sautéed onion and garlic can add a flavor boost to anything, including this soup!
- Green Onions – Chopped green onions are a great compliment to this delicious soup!
No matter how you make it, it's sure to be delicious!
HOW TO FREEZE
This Greek lemon chicken soup freezes like a dream! Let your soup (without the rice) cool, then ladle it into freezer-safe bags. It will keep in the freezer for up to two months!
When you're ready to reheat, simply pop your bag into the fridge overnight to thaw and then reheat on the stove. Cook up some fresh rice or thaw some of that from the freezer, too, and ta-da! Greek lemon chicken soup that tastes as good as the day you made it!
Pro Tip: Store the cooked rice and the soup separately so they reheat better. This way the soup will not thicken with the rice in it!
THE EASIEST GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE
This Greek lemon chicken soup packs some major flavor for a dish that's so quick and easy to make!
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 lemons, juiced
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 tsp dill, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Add broth to a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Then, turn the heat down to simmer.
- In a bowl, add the lemon juice to the beaten eggs.
- Temper the eggs by adding two ladles of hot broth to the egg mixture slowly, making sure to whisk vigorously. Broth should become cloudy, but eggs shouldn't scramble in the broth.
- Pour the tempered egg mixture into the pot and stir.
- Add in shredded chicken, desired seasonings, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes, then ladle over rice and enjoy!
Move over chicken noodle soup, this Greek lemon chicken soup is so yummy and packs a serious nutritious punch! Not only is it irresistibly good, it's so easy and so dang cheap to make. Don't forget to save even more time when making this recipe by using pre-cooked rice and shredded chicken. Seriously… you won't regret making this one!
What's your favorite soup to make? Share it with us in the comments below!
Want more dinner ideas?
- This 15-minute parmesan tilapia is seriously drool-worthy!
- These 20+ sheet pan dinners are a must and make cleanup a breeze!
- Try one of these incredible pork recipes and you'll be eating good tonight!
Now, go greek out over this recipe! 😉