Caramel. Apples. Yes to all of it, right?! The only thing that may possibly take this classic autumn snack to superstar status is our fun twist. So, grab your kiddos and friends for a fun-filled evening making easy caramel apple slices on a stick and caramel apple nachos!
We all love the sweet snack of caramel-covered apples, don't we? Maybe we love the juicy and delicious apple that's been plucked right at the height of harvest season. Maybe it's the chance to slather that healthy apple with decadent caramel (or chocolate??) and make it something truly UH-MAZING that completes us.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Whatever the reason you reach for this yummy treat, you are going to CHEER for this fun and easy variation. These dipped caramel apple SLICES are so yum on a stick rather than trying to navigate the whole apple. As Martha Stewart would say, “It's a good thing.”
WHY CARAMEL APPLE SLICES ARE DA BOMB!
Imagine… you put an apple slice on a stick and dip it with tasty caramel. And then you get to choose a different topping for every. single. slice. Doesn't that just sound awesome? It is. Trust us.
By dipping individual apple slices instead of full apples, you really get to control the ratio of apple to caramel better. Hint hint. By control, we mean you get WAY MORE caramel per slice than you would the other way.
The BEST part about this treat is that it makes for the most fun date night, family night, or friends get-together activity. Treat it almost like you would if you were serving fondue. Let everyone get in there and make their own slices with their toppings of choice. You can even assign toppings for friends to bring to divide up the grocery costs! Sounds SO FUN! Can we come?
APPLE SLICE TOPPINGS AND FLAVOR SUGGESTIONS
Need a few suggestions for creative flavors to get your juices flowing? Here are some of our VERY FAVORITE options that you and your family will love:
- S'mores Slices – Cover your apple in caramel, then chocolate. Next, coat with crushed graham crackers and mini marshmallows. YUM!
- Apple Pie – Dip in caramel, then white chocolate, and then coat in a cinnamon and brown sugar mix.
- Chocolate PB – Coat your apple slice in chocolate. Then slather in peanut butter OR peanut butter chips.
- Go Nutty – Use caramel, chocolate, and your fave chopped nuts — we love pecans!
- M&Ms – Dip your apple in caramel and then cover with mini M&Ms.
- White Chocolate – Use melted white chocolate instead and bonus if you add some mini dark chocolate chips!
- Pumpkin Pie – Add a bit of pumpkin pie spice blend extract to your chocolate and then cover in a cinnamon and brown sugar mixture.
- Oreo – Coat your caramel apple slice in crushed Oreo crumbs. Mmmm.
- Pumpkin Apple Pops – Get decorative and fancy with adorable pumpkin apple pops from Better Homes & Gardens.
We think you are going to go crazy with ANY of these options, but we'd love to hear if you have any of your own favorites. Comment below and let us know what flavor combo you love.
WHICH APPLES WORK BEST FOR CARAMEL APPLES?
There are SO many varieties of apples that you can use to put together your caramel apple slices. The best apples to use are the ones you have easily available. If you really want to get specific, then here's a breakdown of how each apple will taste:
- Granny Smith – These are the “gold standard” because of their tartness that pairs well with the sweet caramel.
- Honeycrisp – These amazing apples are super juicy with a sweetness similar to apple cider.
- Fuji – Fuji apples offer sweetness and crunch that will hold under all that caramel and toppings.
- Gala – Gala apples are similar to Fuji in the crunch and sweetness they offer.
- Pink Lady – Pink lady apples are very firm and have a delicious tart flavor.
Yum!!!! So many delicious options. How will you possibly choose? We'd love to hear back from you on what you decide and how it turns out!
CARAMEL APPLE SLICES: DIPPING TIPS AND TROUBLESHOOTING
Our guess is you will be doing this with your kids — so it's gonna get a little messy. However, if you want to have a successful apple dipping session, here are some troubleshooting tips to get you going.
- Slice It Thick – To make sure that your stick doesn't poke out the side, go for a thicker apple slice, between 1/2 – 1 inch thick.
- Cut Your Stick In – Don't just jam your stick into the apple. It may break or bend. Use a small knife to make a slit and then place the stick into the opening.
- Caramel Slippage – You can help prevent caramel and toppings from slipping off your apple by drying your apple slice beforehand. Do this by patting down your apple slice on both sides — then pat it down again for good measure!
- Pause Between Steps – Another important step for keeping your toppings in tip-top shape is to let the caramel set on the apple for a few minutes before adding chocolate or anything else.
Pro Tip: Want to prevent your apples from browning? Here's a couple of tips. Slice up your apples and then soak them briefly (for about 5 minutes) in a gallon of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt. They won't come up tasting salty and they won't turn brown! Or…..you can soak them briefly in a combination of 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 cup of water.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DIP?
Are apples the only thing you can dip? Heck no! There are lots of other choices that are equally delicious if you want to give something different a try.
- Pretzel sticks – You will love dipping the large pretzel sticks for a savory, salty, sweet combo.
- Pears – Pears offer a softer, sweeter option from apples that are just as delicious!
- Pineapple – How about we take that caramel dipping to the tropics? Pineapple is a perfect choice.
- Strawberries – Strawberries offer a bite-size tangy deliciousness.
- Marshmallows – Doesn't an ooey, gooey marshmallow just sound amazing? Make sure your caramel isn't TOO hot!
APPLE NACHOS RECIPE
All right. If you REALLY want to get fancy with your apple slice snack, then try out our dessert recipe suggestion for apple nachos! This easy, stick-free dish looks super impressive when it's put together, so it's a great option to bring to a potluck.
Caramel Apple Nachos
- 8 whole apples – mixture of gala, honeycrisp, or granny smith
- ½ package Kraft caramels, unwrapped*
- ½ package chocolate candy coating, white or milk
- Optional toppings – mini chocolate chips, M&Ms, toffee bits, etc.
- Prep your choice of toppings in small bowls first so that you can add them as soon as your chocolate and caramel is added.
- Cut your apples and arrange them on a serving platter in rows.
- Place your unwrapped caramels into a pot with 1 Tbsp of water to smooth the caramel.
- Heat the caramel on medium low heat until it is melted but not burning.
- Add your chocolate candy into another pot. Stir constantly over low heat until it's fully melted.
- Use a clean spoon to drizzle the caramel and then the chocolate over the top of the apple slices.
- Sprinkle your choice of toppings over the top immediately.
- Serve and enjoy!
We just know that this treat is one that will earn its way into your snack hall of fame. Just imagine how much fun you'd have with a movie night featuring a buttery bowl of popcorn and some apple nachos. #winning
Give apples or one of these other yummy options a try and be sure to let us know what you think. Leave a comment below and tell us if you're planning to whip up some apple nachos or slices on a stick.
Need some more great fall recipe & fun inspo for your family?
- Try our yummy, cheesy garlic bread for dinner.
- Cook up some s'mores the easy way. In the microwave.
- Get more ideas for a fun caramel apple bar night activity.