Corn on the cob season is finally here! Lend us your EARS and we'll show you how to cook corn on the cob five ways so you can get your summer BBQ on STAT!
It may sound a little corny, but we think corn on the cob is a-MAIZE-ing! When in season, it makes the perfect dirt cheap side for tons of delicious meals. Basically, another perfect shelf cooking staple you should have on your grocery list every week!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
We'll show you how to cook corn on the cob five different ways so you NEVER get tired of this cheap deliciousness! Plus, we have a great hack for easy shucking you do NOT want to miss. Trust us, you'll never pass up the corn on the cob aisle again!
TO SHUCK OR NOT TO SHUCK
When you're looking for the perfect corn on the cob at the store, go for the corn still in husks—it's cheaper and lasts longer! Corn on the cob only lasts about three days in the fridge, even less once it's been shucked. You can even freeze corn in the husk if you can't cook it up in time!
If the idea of shucking your corn scares you off like a scarecrow in a cornfield… fear not! We'll show you how to shuck corn the EASY way in just a few simple steps. Be careful, though, shucking takes a lot of corn-centration! 😉
- The key to effortlessly shucking corn on the cob is to microwave it just long enough to create a little steam inside the husk. Stick your corn in the microwave for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Once your corn is done, cut off the root end about 1.5 inches from the stem.
- Next, grab your corn by the uncut end and squeeze the corn on the cob out of the cut end. The corn will slide out silk-free and ready to go!
And there you have it. The EASIEST corn shucking method there ever was!
HOW TO COOK CORN ON THE COB IN THE MICROWAVE
Now that you're a professional corn shucker, let's get on with how to cook the perfect corn on the cob. One of the fastest and easiest ways to cook that golden deliciousness is to simply toss it in the microwave! Not only does this method make husking a breeze, but you can actually fully cook your corn in the process so it's ready to eat after husking! Here's how we do it.
- Cook each ear of corn (in the husk, remember!) for 4 minutes on high. You CAN cook several at a time, so multiply the number of ears by 4 to set your timer!
- Once the time is up, pull the corn out and follow the shucking procedure above for perfectly cooked corn on the cob!
- Butter, salt, and season your corn, grab your favorite corn holders or wooden skewers, and go to town!
Seriously… could there BE and easier way to cook corn on the cob? We don't think so.
PERFECT GRILLED CORN ON THE COB
Learning how to cook corn on the cob on the grill is simple and something you should totally get fired up about! Grilling corn on the cob is a great way to add that charred, smokey flavor we all know pairs perfectly with a good BBQ pulled pork sandwich. Now, grab your tongs, fire up that grill, and let's get this show on the road!
GRILLING CORN ON THE COB IN THE HUSK
Grilling with the husk on is an easy way to keep your corn from getting too charred if that's not your jam!
- Before you grill husked corn, you need to soak it so the husks don't catch fire and burn. Pull back the husk to the base and remove any silk you can. Pull the leaves back up to cover the corn and soak fully for at least 30 minutes.
- Place on a hot grill, turning every few minutes for a total of 15 minutes.
- Cut the base, remove the husk, and ta-da! Juicy, smokey corn on the cob, grilled to summer BBQ perfection!
Sounds yummy, right?
GRILLING SHUCKED CORN
If you're one who looooves a nice char on your corn cob, this is the method for you!
- Simply place your shucked corn on the grill, turning often for about 5 minutes total or until it looks PERFECT!
- Slather that baby in butter and all your favorite spices and enjoy!
If you have shucked corn but aren't into the charred kernels, no worries! Butter and season your corn first, wrap your ears in foil, and let the ears marinate in alllll that buttery deliciousness as it cooks! Mmmmhmmm.
No matter how you shuck it, this grilled corn is a summer BBQ dream! While you have the grill cranked up, don't forget to check out these 10 grilling hacks you need to know!
HOW TO COOK CORN ON THE COB IN THE OVEN
Cooking corn on the cob in the oven is easy, quick, and foolproof. Here's our favorite method, step by step!
- Shuck your corn using the method mentioned above.
- Butter your corn and season with your favorite herbs and spices.
- Wrap each ear in foil and place in a preheated oven at 425° F for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
Unwrap, grab your corn trays, and devour!
HOW TO BOIL THE PERFECT CORN ON THE COB
Ahh, the old tried and true method for cooking corn on the cob! This method is great for cooking frozen corn on the cobs, too. Here's how it's done.
- Bring a pot of water (big enough to cover your ears of corn) to boil on the stovetop.
- While you're waiting for your water to boil, shuck your corn on the cob.
- Once the water is rolling, place your corn into the pot and return to boil.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, checking for tenderness along the way.
Once they are nice and tender, pull those suckers out and butter em' up!
Pro Tip: Don't salt or season your corn while it's boiling because this can make it tough!
Now that you know how to cook corn on the cob five different ways, summer can begin! Did you know we have an awesome hack for cutting corn OFF the cob? Check that out in our food hacks post!
Do you have a favorite way to cook corn? Tell us in the comments below!
For more great cooking hacks and recipes, check out these posts, too!
- Learn everything you need to know to prevent freezer burn and never let food go to waste again!
- Not sure what to do with stale tortillas? We have a solution!
- Check out these 40+ summer dinner ideas that pair great with corn!
Now, pop to it and let's get this corn cooking!