If you love chicken parmesan, we're about to introduce you to your new favorite recipe! This chicken parmesan casserole is easy enough for a weeknight dinner and tasty enough to serve to company. It's pretty much perfection in a pan!
If you've been craving chicken parm but you're short on time, we've got the solution! This chicken parmesan casserole is the ultimate comfort food, and we bet you have all the ingredients you need to whip this up in no time.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
We'll show you how to modify this recipe so you don't have to run out to the store, and we'll also share secrets to storing and using the leftovers (if you're lucky enough to have any). You might want to double this recipe because it is SO dang good. Are you ready for this?!
HOW TO MODIFY THIS CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE RECIPE
We can't get enough of chicken parm, but it's not usually the easiest recipe to throw together, so we set out to find a workaround for you guys! We were on a mission to find a simple take on chicken parmesan that was pantry-friendly (aka a shelf cooking dream). While you probably have all or most of the ingredients you'll need to make this recipe, here's how you can modify it in a pinch:
- Chicken Breast Substitute – If you forgot to thaw out your chicken or you're just looking for a super quick shortcut, use frozen chicken tenders instead. Be sure to heat them through before you add them! You can also reach for a bag of shredded chicken or some rotisserie chicken to cut prep time in half.
- Croutons – We like using croutons in this recipe because it's so dang easy, but if you don't have any, try using crushed up chips instead. Those crumbs at the bottom of the bag are begging for a casserole to top!
- Pasta – We used cellentani, but you can use just about any type of noodle in this recipe. Try macaroni, penne, or ziti.
- Sauce – All out of jarred pasta sauce? You can make a batch of pizza sauce!
Running low on mozzarella? Use extra parmesan or sub in another cheese if you have it! In our opinion, all cheese is good cheese. Can we get an amen?!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE
This casserole is so filling on its own that you don't need to go to a lot of effort to round out the meal. But if you're looking for an idea, try one of these quick side dishes:
- Cheesy Garlic Bread – Sometimes, we turn this cheesy garlic bread into a meal of its own, but it's a perfect side dish for a hearty Italian meal.
- Crispy Green Beans – Boil or air fry some fresh green beans with butter, garlic, and a few bacon bits.
- Side Salad – Use your leftover croutons to top a fresh side salad with homemade vinaigrette.
- Rustic Bread – We make this rustic bread all the time! Top with butter and a little garlic to amp up the flavor.
- Steamed Broccoli – We like serving pasta dishes with a nice green veggie on the side. You could also mince some up and hide it in the casserole to fool those picky eaters!
Speaking of casserole add-ins, try adding mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, or spinach to yours for a sneaky, healthy dose of veggies!
HOW TO STORE & REHEAT LEFTOVERS
We have a feeling everyone is going to beg for seconds, so you need to double this recipe if you hope to have leftovers! That being said, here's what to do with that extra batch:
- How to Freeze – The easiest way to turn this casserole into a freezer meal is to assemble it and store it in an airtight container before baking. Don't forget to label, and be sure to eat it within three months for the best results.
- How to Reheat from Frozen – Just thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then cook according to recipe instructions!
- How Long to Store in the Refrigerator – If you have leftovers you'd like to eat for lunch or another dinner, just store them in an airtight container in your fridge and use them within three days. Reheat in the oven, or microwave if you're serving up a single portion.
Pro Tip: Want to avoid freezer burn? We've together tons of tips for freezing food the right way so you can avoid waste!
OUR FAVORITE CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE RECIPE
We bet you're getting hungry, so let's start cooking. This chicken parmesan casserole is a dream, and we're so excited for you to try it!
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb pasta (we used cellentani)
- 32 oz pasta sauce
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups croutons, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Begin by placing chicken breasts in a saucepan. Put enough cold water to just cover them, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until no longer pink and easily shredded, about 20 minutes.
- While your chicken is cooking, make your pasta based on package directions.
- Saute your onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent and soft, 3 – 4 minutes. Cook garlic and red pepper flake for an additional minute. Pour in pasta sauce and heat through.
- Combine the cooked and shredded chicken, cooked pasta, pasta sauce, and half the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Poor into a 13×9 inch baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Pour the crushed croutons over the top. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then serve, and enjoy!
YUM, right?! We're seriously dying to go make this right now. Who's with us?!
And there you have it! Now you know how to make one of the easiest, cheesiest, yummiest comfort foods of all time. If you decide to sneak in some veggies, let us know how it goes!
What's your favorite casserole to make? We're always looking for new meal ideas, so drop a comment below!
If you like this recipe, we think you'll love these, too!
- This homemade french bread pizza is such a breeze to throw together, and it's super delicious.
- You only need 5 ingredients to make these easy sheet pan fajitas.
- Our whole family loves this one-pan french onion chicken!
Chow down! It might sound cheesy, but this recipe is grate!
We made this today lt was ( AWESOME ) thank you, Jack & Polly
SO glad you loved it!
This is the perfect rainy day recipe!