Is your humble home garden producing more than you ever thought possible? If you feel like you have summer squash coming out your ears, don't stress! We have the best squash recipes that will turn that garden goodness into something amazing!
It's that time of year again! The kids are heading back to school, the nights are feeling brisk, and summer is officially winding down. If you have a home garden, you might also be harvesting lots of yummy vegetables!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
If you've discovered your thumb is greener than you expected, you might be getting sick of eating garden veggies with every meal! We have some fresh ideas to use up an abundance of summer squash so you can thoroughly enjoy all the benefits of your summer harvest.
Reasons To Love Squash Season
There is more than one type of summer squash out there, but yellow squash and zucchini (or courgette, in other parts of the world) are probably the most common. Both are relatively easy to grow, making it perfect for backyard gardens. One or two plants can produce such an abundance of green and yellow squashes that your counters will be piled high with by the end of summer!
If you're getting tired of eating sautéed squash every night, you're not alone! The good news is that these wonderfully versatile veggies can be used in a wide variety of ways. Not only that, it will add nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, and fiber to your diet. Go you!
Delicious Summer Squash Side Dishes
One of our favorite ways to eat zucchini or yellow squash is as an appetizer or side dish! Their mild flavor makes it easy to blend with other strong flavors to create something totally crave-worthy. Some of our favorite are:
- Squash fritters – Anything with the word “fritter” in it and we're sold! Fry these babies up on the stove in a pan or toss them in a deep fryer for a satisfying crunch.
- Zucchini fries– Those long zucchinis are just begging to be cut into sticks and eaten by hand! Make zucchini fries in an air fryer or oven for a healthy but flavorful side.
- Zucchini salad– Talk about fresh garden goodness! This corn, zucchini, and tomato salad will make the harvest season a culinary dream!
- Squash gratin– Mmmm… a big casserole dish full of this cheesy goodness will make you wonder why you ever thought you didn't like vegetables.
- Squash and cheddar biscuits – Herb-y and savory, you'll crave these biscuits with soups as fall creeps in.
Main Dishes Using Summer Squash
Yellow squash and zucchini can be the star of the show, or be an inexpensive way to add bulk to your protein. Either way, we love using them in main dishes like these:
- Zucchini boats – The mild flavor of zucchini makes it the perfect vehicle for these flavor-packed squash boat recipes.
- “Pasta” zoodles – Turning zucchini or squash into “noodles” using a veggie spiralizer is an easy way to get some extra veggies in your diet! Add our favorite spaghetti sauce on top and you'll hardly even notice the difference.
- Summer squash soup – The end of summer means the beginning of fall, which means soup season! Yum! Pair this delicious summer squash soup with our easy homemade rustic bread for a satisfying meal.
- Chicken and zucchini casserole – Whip this casserole up with only a few minutes of prep and have a hearty dinner in no time.
- Italian chicken and veggie skillet – This healthy one-dish meal is full of flavor and feel-good nutrients!
- Zucchini lasagna – Much like the spiralized zoodles above, this recipe swaps out traditional lasagna pasta noodles for long thin slices of zucchini. Enjoy the comfort of a pan of lasagna while using veggies that you grew in your garden!
Summer Squash Sweet Treats
Think “vegetables” and “sweet” don't belong in the same sentence? Think again! Using zucchini or yellow squash in baked goods is a great way to add moisture and bulk, plus some sneaky extra nutrients! Here are some we can't get enough of:
- Zucchini bread or squash muffins – Of course! We always enjoy a classic zucchini bread, but adding chocolate chips is a favorite, too! And these squash muffins are perfect for a quick breakfast.
- Lemon blueberry bread – We LOVE this sweet and tangy bread with the addition of summer squash! About half a cup of grated and drained yellow squash will blend right in. Your kids will never know!
- Zucchini cake – If you're a fan of carrot cake, you'll love zucchini cake, too! Try this tasty recipe with the abundance from your garden. More of a chocolate fan? You'll love this deliciously decadent and moist cake, too!
- Cookies – Add a half cup of shredded, drained zucchini or yellow squash to your favorite cookie recipe for soft, hearty cookies!
What's the most creative way you've eaten summer squash? Tell us in the comments!
Check out more Shelf Cooking recipes for all sorts of info on how to save money and still enjoy delicious food!
- Our Shelf Cooking Subscription Plan will change your life! Don't believe us? Try it yourself for only $1!
- Now that summer is ending we have 20+ Back To School Snack Ideas your kids will love!
- Busy weekday nights call for quick and easy recipes that will satisfy hungry bellies! This shrimp and broccoli stir fry is a perfect recipe to keep on hand.
Happy squash season!