Looking for a fun way to provide a little extra pick-me-up in the mornings? These egg muffin cups are perfect for breakfast and they're freezer-friendly, too! Whip up a batch and eat 'em while they're hot.
Eggs are perfect for breakfast. They're packed with protein and really help kiddos stay full until lunchtime. But seriously, who has the time that's needed to make them in the mornings? We do good to get everybody ready and out the door on time, let alone cook up eggs for everybody!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Wanna be let in on a little secret? Make egg muffin cups ahead of time and you won't have to worry about cooking them in the mornings! The best part? They're super versatile and are shelf cooking-friendly, so you can easily use whatever ingredients that you have on hand! Ready to learn more?
EGG MUFFIN CUP INGREDIENTS
All you need to be able to make egg muffin cups are a few basic ingredients, then you can add in whatever you have that needs to be used. They're really so easy. Try out different flavor combinations to see what your family likes best!
- Meat – You can use breakfast sausage, ham, bacon, or any other leftover or cooked meat that needs to be eaten!
- Onion – The type doesn't matter, whatever you have will work! Feel free to leave these out if your kids are picky or add in onion powder if you still want the flavor and you don't have one.
- Eggs – Obviously you need eggs to make egg muffin cups! But you could totally use egg whites if you have some that need to be used up.
- Bell Pepper – The color doesn't matter, anything is fine! Once again, feel free to leave these out if you don't have any or if someone won't eat them.
- Cheese – You really can't go wrong on the type of cheese that you use, here! Cheddar, mixed, mozzarella, whatever you have on hand.
- Seasoning – Salt and pepper are fine, but you can really go crazy and add in extras to your liking.
- Cooking Spray or Oil – The type doesn't matter as long as you can use it to grease up the muffin tin to keep the eggs from sticking!
You can use any type of muffin tin, but I prefer to use a mini muffin tin so that they're the perfect size for little hands. (Just make sure that you adjust the cooking time!)
HOW TO MAKE EGG MUFFIN CUPS
Egg muffins are super easy to throw together. If you're using breakfast sausage, you'll need to cook it in a pan, along with the onion. If you use meat that's already been cooked, then sauté the onion with a little bit of cooking oil on low heat. When it's nearly done, add the meat to heat it up. Make sure that you set the pan to the side to let the meat and onion cool before adding it to the eggs, or else you'll end up cooking the eggs before you're ready to!
Mix the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and add the meat and onions once cooled. Scoop into the muffin tin and bake at 350°F for 20-22 minutes (or 10-12 minutes for mini muffins) until they're just slightly puffy and set.
Pro Tip: Use a measuring cup to scoop the mixture into a regular muffin tin, or a tablespoon to scoop it into a mini muffin tin. It's so much easier than trying to use a regular spoon! You can thank us later.
HOW TO FREEZE AND REHEAT
One of the best things about egg muffin cups is that you can easily freeze them! Remove them from the muffin pan and put them on a cooling rack. Once they've cooled, throw them in a freezer bag, making sure that you get out as much air as possible (gotta help to prevent that freezer burn!) and stick in the freezer.
When you're ready to eat the egg muffin cups, wrap them in a damp paper towel and throw them in the microwave in 30-second increments until they’re warm all the way through. Doesn't that sound crazy easy? These are great for busy work and school mornings and keep you from having to whip up a batch of eggs for everybody!
THE EASIEST EGG MUFFIN CUPS RECIPE
Okay, enough flappin' our lips already! Let's get on to the goods. Take what you have on hand and make it work for you! Try out different ingredients and see what you love the most!
(Adapted from The Pioneer Woman)
Egg Muffin Cups
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (or any cooked meat)
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 15 large eggs
- 1 dash salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 whole bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Cook the sausage over medium-high heat until it's almost done.
- Add the onion and cook over low heat, until sausage is cooked and onion is translucent. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Mix together eggs, salt, pepper, and whisk until combined. Add cheese and bell pepper and mix in. Once the sausage is cool, mix it in.
- Spoon into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until puffy and just set for mini muffins, or 20-22 minutes for regular muffins.
So easy, right? YUM.
Alright, well there you have it! You're now an egg muffin cups whiz. What are your favorite make-ahead breakfasts? Let us know in the comments! We're always looking for fresh and new ideas to use what we've got.
Want even more breakfast ideas?
- Make your own DIY Eggo waffles with this homemade waffle recipe!
- Check out other great make-ahead breakfasts that the whole fam will love.
- Try out these delicious crunchy French toast sticks! You won't want to go back to the normal kind again.
Now get in there and crack some eggs!
Great with holiday turkey leftover. Add green onions and bam!
Oh wow, that sounds so delicious. Thanks for sharing!